How To Survive The Festive Feasting

shutterstock_238694290

We know that Christmas, whilst being a time of unadulterated fun and festivities, is also a time of stress for many when it comes to health, fitness and weight concerns. All of that hard work, will it go down the drain as I attend the 4th Christmas party boasting an all you can eat and drink buffet!?

Well, we’re here to help you navigate the potential mental minefield whilst still letting your hair down and having a great time.

Here at Grokker we wouldn’t ever recommend abstaining completely from anything considered naughty or ‘treat’ food. Instead we believe in the balanced 80 / 20 rule. Eat well and look after yourself 80% of the time and the other 20% well… that chocolate isn’t going to eat itself, is it! Never allowing yourself any kind of leeway when it comes to clean eating will just leave you snarky, annoyed and with a distinct feeling of deprivation, which often ends up in a mammoth binge of everything you can get your hands on. Not pretty and more importantly, not healthy. There is absolutely no reason why you can’t have your cake and eat it whilst still going into the new year feeling fit and fabulous!

Try these simple swaps to save calories (and meltdowns).

thisnotthat1

As well as the above, a couple of little tips that I swear by that help me limit any (excess) indulgence around the Christmas period are as follows;

1 | Wake up to a large, healthy breakfast – Smoked Salmon, scrambled eggs and avocado on wholewheat toast is a favourite of mine but it could be anything you like, a big hearty bowl of porridge will do the trick. Let’s face it, Christmas dinner is rarely served ‘on time’, so don’t spend all morning / afternoon waiting for it and subsequently picking on everything in sight.

2 | Fill up on the good stuff first, this is a process known as ‘crowding out’. If you fill up on all the healthy, yet still delicious stuff, you’ll be less likely to eat second helpings of the more sinful treats! This method has served me well over the years!

Even with all of these tips in mind, it’s important to relax and enjoy the day. You will eat more than normal, everyone does, so don’t stress about it, just try to take a mindful approach, eat lots of veggies and you will be fine!

Happy Holidays!

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>