Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Pancetta Waffles and Spiced Maple Syrup
1 free-range, organic chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 heaping tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 quart buttermilk
3 cups All Purpose flour
1 tub Crisco shortening
1. Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, soak the chicken in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour till overnight.
2. Mix the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together and spread on a plate. Dredge each chicken piece in the seasoned flour to coat well. Heat about 1 inch of canola oil in a cast iron pan until it reads 350°F on a candy thermometer. In small batches, place a few pieces of the chicken in the oil at a time and fry for 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, turn each piece over, then cover the pan to cook for an additional 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and salt well.
1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center.
2. In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and oil.
3. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy).
4. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up).
5. Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white, Do not overmix.
6. Stir in pancetta and spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it.
Spiced Maple Syrup:
2 cups pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp roasted chile oil
1. Pour all contents into a saucepan and heat over low heat for 1 hour. Strain if needed and serve.