1 large mango (about 70-80% ripe)
1 cup water
3 cups buttermilk (made by mixing 2 cups well beaten yogurt and 1 cup water)
Salt to taste
1 & 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (Methi)
2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3, or to taste dried red chilies
3 tbsp roasted chana daal (Daliya)
3 tbsp shredded coconut
Green chilies to taste
1/3 cup water to help grind
1. Peel and cut mango into bite size pieces. Add mango and 1 cup water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-8 minutes (until mangoes are tender).
2. While mango is cooking, dry roast fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and dried red chilies for approx 2 minutes before adding Daliya. Continue roasting until Daliya turns light golden brown. Transfer spices to a plate and allow them to cool completely.
3. Add spices to a grinder (or blender) and grind coarsely. Add coconut, green chilies and 1/3 cup water (a little at a time) and grind mixture to a smooth paste. Remove cooked mango from the stove and lightly mash it with a fork or hand blender.
4. Add spice paste and mix well. Add buttermilk and salt and mix well. Keep the saucepan back on the stove and heat mixture through (stirring continuously) on medium to high heat just until steam is visible. Do not allow the kadhi to boil.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop. Add cumin seeds, Asafoetida, dry red chilies and curry leaves. Pour seasoning over the kadhi and mix through. Serve with rice.