1) Know your steak: Filet, New York, Ribeye, etc, all have different qualities and subtleties that you should account for to cook them perfectly
2) Season the Steak well: Most people don't use enough salt & pepper. Don't skimp
3) Get a good sear on both sides: Use a hot pan to get the steaks browned on both sides, without over cooking the center
4) Know your doneness: Use the hand pressure technique to gauge how cooked the steak it. Or a meat thermometer. Don't cut it open.
5) Let it rest: Gotta give the steak some time for the juices to settle before you cut into it.