1 & 1/2 cups (80 grams) wheat bran
1/3 cup (80 ml) boiling water
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
1 cup (205 grams) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tbsp unsulphured molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (130 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup (70 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp freshly grated orange zest
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
3/4 cup (180 ml) buttermilk
1. Place the wheat bran in a bowl and stir in the boiling water. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and molasses and beat until well blended. Add the wheat bran and beat until combined.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, cinnamon, orange zest, salt, baking soda and powder.
5. In a small bowl combine the milk and buttermilk.
6. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternately with the wet ingredients, in two additions, to the bran mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Cover and place the batter in the refrigerator until well chilled (several hours or even for a day or two).
8. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or else spray with a nonstick vegetable spray.
9. Fill the muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop, about 3/4 full and bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.