Dried Thai Red Chilies – 20 or to taste (de-seeded)
Hot Water – 1/3 cup
Galangal – 1 heaping Tbsp (Ginger can be substituted but use galangal for authentic Thai flavor)
Shallots – 1/2 cup, chopped
Lemon Grass – 2 Tbsp, chopped
Cilantro Stems – 2 Tbsp
Garlic – 1/4 cup, chopped
Thai Red Chilies – to taste (optional)
Lime Leaves – 4 to 5 (Lime peel can be substituted)
Whole White Peppercorns – 1 tsp (black can be substituted)
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Paprika – as needed and optional for red color
Oil – 3 Tbsp
1. Soak de-seeded Dried Red Chilies in 1/3 cup hot water for approx 1/2 hour.
2. Remove the soaked chilies from the water and place them along with all of the remaining ingredients (except Oil) in a blender or spice grinder. Reserve the soaking water and use it instead of plain water to help the grinding process.
3. Grind all of the ingredients into a smooth paste.
4. Heat Oil in a skillet.
5. Add the paste and cook it until the oil starts to separate and the paste starts to clump together (3-5 mins).
6. Remove from the heat and allow the paste to cool down before storing it in a clean airtight jar. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 6 months.