Wearable Activity Trackers
19 Comments
Sabine Walter, Level 139
Enthusiast
February 5, 2017

I agree totally! I love my fitbit, because it keeps me on track as far as exercising goes. If I don't have at least 10000 steps by the end of the day, I feel guilty and get on the treadmill!! The only thing I don't like is the food logging setup they have. It's very time consuming if you don't eat processed or quick-fix foods. I cook my on meals low sodium, low fat and have no patience to figure out the nutritional values of my own recipes. I'd waste hours on the computer doing that! I rather go for a walk! Does anybody have some suggestions on an eady & quick app to use for honemade real food logging?

M L, Level 19
Enthusiast
September 21, 2015

Jess Weiss It sounds like the fit may be bothersome to the point that you won't wear it much, so I'd recommend sorting it out. FitBit customer service can be quite helpful, so I recommend contacting them!

Jess Weiss, Level 3
Enthusiast
September 19, 2015

I just got a FitBit a few weeks ago. I ordered it on Amazon, and while I like it, I got the large which doesn't seem to be the exact right fit for me. The heart rate monitor is in touch with my wrist at all times, but I have some spare space on the sides. Also, I'm on the second to smallest hole... Trying to decide if I should contact Amazon to return or if I should just stick with what I have... Thoughts anyone?

Vanessa Sellers, Level 65
Enthusiast
February 26, 2015

I have the Garmin VivoSmart. I bought it because I have the Garmin Forerunner 220 I use for running .
So far I love it

Regina Lindsey, Level 27
Enthusiast
January 23, 2015

I use the Armour 39 chest strap monitor and I like because it syncs with MapMyRun and My Fitness Pal. It usually runs for $100 but they periodically have it on sale for $30. I picked it up when it went on sale. I'm surprised by the difference the calorie counts are with it versus logging it from the apps.

Sarah piper, Level 65
Enthusiast
September 15, 2014

Has anyone used anything else? I know there are a lot of other trackers besides the Fitbit. I've considered these trackers myself but they just don't seen worth the money. There are apps on smart phones to track your sleep and wake you up at an optimal time (Sleep Cycle). You can also use a pedometer/ activity app on your phone (MapMyFitness). The nutrition aspect still needs to be entered else where and then syncs, right? I feel like I'm missing something because people seem to love these trackers and yet they don't seem to offer anything unique. What am I missing?!?

Vanessa Guerra, Level 2
Enthusiast
July 20, 2014

I love the Fitbit. I have the Force which I chose not to return since I didnt have skin problems. The Fitibit are great trackers I had the Flex last year and it was a big aid in my 25 pound loss, and now I am continuing with the Force.

M L, Level 19
Enthusiast
June 9, 2014

Maggie Boege, let us know how you like the fitbit! I'm considering one myself.

Maggie Boege, Level 6
Enthusiast
June 5, 2014

I have been wondering about the real experience with a fitbit! Thank you much for the information. I think I am going to break down and get one. I need all the motivation I can get

Dianne Kendall, Level 1
Enthusiast
May 3, 2014

LUMOback is very interesting. It straps around your waist with a device resting on your lower back. It buzzes each time you are sitting or standing in bad posture. You can correct your posture real time. Throughout the day it tells you the % of time you were in good posture, number of hours you were sitting, number of times you stood up and steps taken. It can also track sleep time and sleep positions (%side, back, front). I had a Bikram yoga instructor get me started on posture and apps to help, and he made a point that furniture in this century is designed to promote poor posture. It is so true. Sitting in furniture always makes it buzz. It is amazing how much you can do for you health and your body when you are not exercising and this device helps with those goals for a true entire wellness plan!

Drew Marich, Level 57
April 30, 2014

Dianne - that's a whole lotta trackers you have! I want a tracker to accurately tell me how many calories I burn in a workout - I do CrossFit, running, biking, basketball, etc. - and I'm curious which activities burn the most calories because they vary so much in intensity and style, etc. My reluctance in pulling the trigger on one of the devices is that they won't accurately distinguish the calories burned in these different workouts. For instance, I've heard from some cyclists who think the trackers don't do well with cycling, even if you somehow attach the tracker to your shoe. If there's a recco for any one device that is really accurate at counting calories burned in a workout, let me know.

Dianne Kendall, Level 1
Enthusiast
April 29, 2014

I must be obsessed with these fitness trackers. I have a FitBit and love. I preordered a MOOV for myself and my daughter (expected in summer). I also ordered Lumoback (should arrive soon) and LumoLift. My posture is not my strong point...I display my lack of confidence to the world through slouched shoulders and poor low back posture. I hope all of these tracking devices help. Another tools is an app for smarphones called "Watch Your Neck" suggested by my Bikram Yoga instructor. Maybe I will find a favorite??

Sonya Carvin, Level 2
Enthusiast
April 28, 2014

I got a fitbit flex in October for my birthday. I was loving it when it suddenly stopped working. They have been great with replacements, but I had the force and they discontinued it. I had to return the force and place a new order for a flex that should be here today!

Dianne Kendall, Level 1
Enthusiast
February 5, 2014

I have a fitbit and it works very well. It helps with following sleep patterns and quality as well as activity level. You wear it 24 hours and get used to it. It can wake you up with a vibration so you do not bother your spouse with an alarm (or multiple snooze buttons). The fitbit can snooze as well! Only downside....hard to wear during winter under winter coat or long sleeves due to bulk. I will use it 6 months out of the year in our cold northern climate, and highly recommend FitBit.

Mike Blanchette, Level 16
Enthusiast
January 27, 2014

More and more of my friends are getting into the fitbit. I've considered getting one too just so I can compete and compare myself to my group of friends. So for me, I would buy based on the number of my friends that use the same device.

M L, Level 19
Enthusiast
December 3, 2013

I had a Jawbone UP band for a while. I thought it was really easy to use and I especially liked the sleep tracker. You can even set an alarm that will wake you up at the right point in your sleep cycle, which I found very helpful. However, they seem to break easily (mine lasted ~ 1 month), but the replacement policy is quite liberal.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

Drew Marich, Level 57
November 18, 2013

Thanks Amy Perera and Michelle Rahlves. I want to test a few of these with our videos. BTW Michelle, I did your arms/chest/back routine - Bar Workout to Tone Arms, Core, and Back - this morning. A great way to start my week. Those leg in the air abs exercises are not easy!

Michelle Rahlves, Level 14
Expert
November 13, 2013

Hi Drew,
I'll look into Sunto for you. Atomic is part of the business and Sunto has been known for the quatlity of the trackers.

I'll talk with Daron and see what they have. There is an app called MotionX that I like to use.

Michelle Rahlves

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.
Drew Marich, Level 57
November 13, 2013

Does anyone have experience with and/or a recommendation for a wearable fitness activity tracker, like fitbit, nike fuelband, jawbone up, etc.? These seem like a cool way to keep up with your fitness regimen and also a good gift for the holidays. Let me know.

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.