To use most features of the Service, you must create an account with Grokker, either directly or through a Single Sign On (SSO) service provided by one of our partners or your employer. When you create an account with Grokker, you or the SSO service must provide us your name and email address, and create a password (unless you are using SSO). Your email address and password or SSO service will be used so you can securely access and maintain your Grokker account. We may also collect additional information such as your location and optional demographic information.
You may be able to link certain third party accounts ("Third Party Accounts") to your Grokker account in order to facilitate sharing. To link your Third Party Account to Grokker, you must grant Grokker permission to send information to that service, according to that site's permission page (where you consent to link your Third Party Account) and your privacy settings for that Third Party Account. Grokker will not receive or store your passwords for your Third Party Accounts.
When you use the Grokker Services, we collect information about the actions you take, including watching, loving, searching for and collecting videos, entering comments or annotations, and following topics or users. All of the actions you take on Grokker are public, and may be visible to other Grokker users, or published to your linked Third Party Services accounts with your consent.
Like almost all web and mobile products, we automatically collect a variety of information when you use the Grokker Services:
- Log Data. Our servers automatically record information about your interaction with our products (log data), including information that your browser or your mobile app sends. This log data may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the address of the web page you were visiting before you came to Grokker, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, and actions you take on Grokker.
- Web beacon A "web beacon," also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, is used to transmit information back to a web server. We also use pixel tags in our emails to customers to track effectiveness, response rates, and similar information about when our emails are read or forwarded.
- Device Information We may collect information about the device youre using Grokker on, including what type of device it is, what operating system youre using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data.
- Analytics We may also use third party applications and services, such as Google Analytics, to collect and analyze information about visitor traffic on our sites and mobile applications. We use this information to analyze and improve the Grokker Services. This information includes general usage information, and may include information such as the number and frequency of our visitors, which pages or features they have visited, which links on the Grokker Services they have clicked on, and the length of those visits.
We collect Personally Identifiable Information or "PII" such as your email address when you register for a Grokker Membership. We may share Personally Identifiable Information and Non-PII with certain third parties selected by us to help support our operations, such as to aid in the sending of payment notices to Premium Members.
We collect this Health Data via the Apple HealthKit as the only source. Apple may choose to gather this data from other applications, your data input on iOS, and your wearables. For this or related information, please refer to www.apple.com.
Currently, our website does not honor browser requests not to be tracked.
However, you many opt out of many ad networks, including those operated by members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") and the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"). For more information regarding this practice by NAI and DAA members, and your choices regarding having this information used by these companies, including how to opt-out of third-party ad networks operated by NAI and DAA members, please visit their respective websites: www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp, and www.aboutads.info/choices.
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide our service, to communicate with you about your use of our service, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- To provide technical support and troubleshoot technical issues with our service.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, content suggestions, targeted advertising, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using service.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our service on third party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our service, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our service and respond to user desires and preferences, develop new features and products, and for other research and analytical purposes.
The Grokker community is built on openness and sharing. Therefore your Grokker profile and actions that you take on Grokker are public, and visible to other Grokker users. Additionally, your Grokker profile may be indexable by search engines. Some of the actions you take on Grokker may be published to Third Party Services (such as Facebook) if you linked your Grokker account to a Third Party Service and allowed sharing between the two.
We may share information if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or Grokker; or to detect, prevent, defend against or otherwise address abuse, fraud, security or legal issues.
You can access and update most of your personal information through your Grokker profile. You may also request access, updating and correction in your personal information by contacting us. To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps (such as requesting a password) to verify your identity before granting you access or allowing you to make any corrections or updates. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and account information at all times.
If you have linked your Grokker account to a Third Party Services account, you can control the information that Grokker may access, and the ability of Grokker to publish on your behalf with settings from that Third Party Service. You can also choose to unlink your account. To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by the Third Party Service provider.
We may send you marketing emails. To unsubscribe from marketing emails, simply follow the opt out instructions in any such email, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on our opt out list.
We have implemented security precautions to protect the personal information we collect. However, no data transmission or storage is 100% effective.