5 Tips to Start Cooking at Home

The science is clear: home cooking is the healthiest food option. Numerous studies have shown that people who frequently cook their own food consume more nutritious and less caloric food than those that cook less, which reduces the risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.

Despite the clear health benefits, only 57% of Americans report a regular habit of cooking at home. So, what is keeping the other 43% away from the kitchen? Time is a huge factor, as is the excuse “I don’t know how to cook".

Cooking doesn’t have to take a lot of time and it doesn’t have to be complicated! Here are 5 tips to help you make cooking at home a habit, so that you can become a happier, healthier you.

Start small

If you have never spent time cooking at home, don’t try to start cooking all of your meals. Going from zero to 60 in no time flat will lead to failures and frustrations, which will make you ditch cooking before you have a chance to fall in love with it. Instead, start small. Cook 1-2 meals a week and go from there.

Pick easy recipes

Cooking doesn’t have to be complicated. Simple and fast meals can be just as delicious as ones that take hours to prepare. Focus on recipes with few ingredients, prep and cook times under 30 minutes, and simple cooking techniques.

If you’re new to cooking, you might be feeling a bit nervous as you start making more meals at home. But with the massive collection of cooking videos on Grokker and other video sites, learning to cook has never been easier. Just hit play and you’ll quickly learn tips and tricks that will make you comfortable in the kitchen.

Plan ahead

Choose a time each week to plan out your meals. If you wait until the day of to decide what to make, chances are you’ll end up picking up the phone and ordering some takeout. Planning and buying ingredients ahead of time will not only keep you honest, it’ll get you excited for what you’ll be cooking that week!

Make enough for leftovers

If you’re really crunched for time, it may not be possible to whip up new meals each day. Instead, double or triple your recipes so that you can enjoy your cooking over several days.

Have fun!

Cooking is delicious, nutritious, and really, really fun! If you think about cooking as a chore, you’ll never be able to make it a habit. Instead, treat it like a party! Cook with a friend or family member, play music, and break open a bottle of wine. Do whatever it takes to ensure you’re having a blast, because if you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right.

To get you started on your new habit, here are a few of my favorite easy and fast home recipes. Enjoy!