Do you have any tips about how to reduce interruptions, notifications, and multi-tasking?
4 Comments
Liz Jones, Level 15
Enthusiast
May 30

Hi Edson I know it has been a little while since you posted this, so hopefully you have found a way to be more focused and reduce multi-tasking. If not, here are four key things that I do that will help.
1, Turning off notifications. It might sound simple but a constant pop up for a message or email is so distracting. I've actually limited my phones to only show button notifications for new emails, and group chats I mute notifications when people are chatty and I am busy.
2, Phone on silent and upside down when focused on something. Even seeing the phone light up can be a distraction, so placing it face down takes away the power that has. This is also useful when you have finished work. If you have a work phone, leave it somewhere where you can check it when you want to, rather than where you will see it light up or hear it.
3, Time blocking. Often time blocking is considered to be longer blocks of time to complete a project, but you can use it for 5-20 minute blocks where you are focused on one singular task. This could be phone face down whilst you do task one (e.g check emails), then you check your phone, before putting it face down for time block two (e.g completing a powerpoint slide for a team meeting), and so on.
4, Write things down. Again, very straight forwards but when a thought comes up in your mind, rather than actioning straight away or getting mentally pulled away from what you are doing, write it down so you can give it your attention fully aftwards.

I hope you have found things to help you, otherwise these add a little support for you.

Liz Jones, Level 15
Enthusiast
May 30

Hi Edson I know it has been a little while since you posted this, so hopefully you have found a way to be more focused and reduce multi-tasking. If not, here are four key things that I do that will help.
1, Turning off notifications. It might sound simple but a constant pop up for a message or email is so distracting. I've actually limited my phones to only show button notifications for new emails, and group chats I mute notifications when people are chatty and I am busy.
2, Phone on silent and upside down when focused on something. Even seeing the phone light up can be a distraction, so placing it face down takes away the power that has. This is also useful when you have finished work. If you have a work phone, leave it somewhere where you can check it when you want to, rather than where you will see it light up or hear it.
3, Time blocking. Often time blocking is considered to be longer blocks of time to complete a project, but you can use it for 5-20 minute blocks where you are focused on one singular task. This could be phone face down whilst you do task one (e.g check emails), then you check your phone, before putting it face down for time block two (e.g completing a powerpoint slide for a team meeting), and so on.
4, Write things down. Again, very straight forwards but when a thought comes up in your mind, rather than actioning straight away or getting mentally pulled away from what you are doing, write it down so you can give it your attention fully aftwards.

I hope you have found things to help you, otherwise these add a little support for you.

Liz Jones, Level 15
Enthusiast
May 30

Hi Edson Ferreira I know it has been a little while since you posted this, so hopefully you have found a way to be more focused and reduce multi-tasking. If not, here are four key things that I do that will help.

Edson Ferreira, Level 49
Enthusiast
October 13

The day-to-day is filled with competing priorities. There are so many interruptions, notifications, and peers asking for guidance. I recently assessed my last weeks and found dozens of interruptions a day, thsoe quick 10-15min questions that add-up. The context switch required for multi-tasking is really making me feel drained. Do you have any tips about how-to reduce/stop multi-tasking? How do you get into that deep-work focusing time? Appreciate your insights.^^

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.