September Yoga Month: 10-day Beginner's Yoga Guide
34 Comments
Carrie Thomson Minturn, Level 6
Enthusiast
August 26, 2015

Hi Morgan!

I've been away for a bit but am back. Would love any suggestions you have for yoga weight loss videos. I have a 30 minute window each morning for my practice and a ready for some new ideas. I am still very much a beginner.

Thanks!
Carrie

Anne Hege, Level 17
Enthusiast
December 5, 2014

Morgan Barry Levay thank you for your help in choosing a mat. I will check your link out. I only wish I had started practicing yoga at an earlier age, but find it very helpful I so many ways now in my later years.

Morgan Barry Levay, Level 20
Expert
December 4, 2014

Anne Hege Excellent - I'm so happy you're commiting to a consistent yoga practice. When you're looking for your manduka mat, the heavier the better. The weight will keep the mat static & prevent you from slipping. The manduka pro - lite mat is meant for travel, which is not ideal as it is light weight and smaller than the standard mat... I think that is the only model under $100. Here is a link to the standard mat that I prefer - it's the simplest, best selling model. Keep us posted on your practice!

http://www.manduka.com/us/shop/categories/products/mats/black-mat-pro/

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.
Anne Hege, Level 17
Enthusiast
December 3, 2014

Morgan Barry Levay thank you for the advice. I am still enjoying my nightly Grokker video and am pretty certain I will continue. I have looked into the Manduka mat you suggested. I found they have several styles and prices. When you say "Manduka mat" , which one are you thinking of? Will the $72 mat be sufficient? What would you say is the most important attribute to look for in a mat over carpet? Thanks for taking time to help me.

Enthusiast
November 26, 2014

That's super encouraging!!! I definitely will. Thx!

Expert
November 21, 2014

Carrie Thomson Minturn I'm so glad this was helpful - as an FYI, it's unbelievable how much weight you can lose with yoga! Let me know when you complete the beginner's series and I'll be happy to share some videos that will help you tone & trim. Goodluck!

Enthusiast
November 21, 2014

This is super helpful Morgan Barry Levay! Thank you. I will dust off my mat and use it on my carpet for sure. :) I am going to work through this beginner series and progress from there. I look forward to seeing where it all takes me. I'd love to lose the extra 30ish lbs on my body. I'm focusing on good nutrition, and have decided to pursue yoga for exercise at this point because quite simply, I like it. Time to shop for a few accessories to support my practice!

Expert
November 17, 2014

Anne Hege I would recommend a mat on carpet over just carpet. However, it would be best to use a more durable / heavier / non- slip mat in that case, such as Manduka mats. It's little bit of an investment, I would recommend sticking with a weekly routine for a few weeks to ensure you are interested enough to invest. You will notice a significant benefit from having a durable / heavy / non-slip mat on top of the carpet.

Anne Hege, Level 17
Enthusiast
November 17, 2014

Morgan Barry Levay What about a mat on a carpet? Our entire house has carpet except the kitchen and bathrooms, and there is not room in those rooms to practice yoga.

Expert
November 14, 2014

Thanks Carrie Thomson Minturn for reaching out ~ really great questions. First of all, when practicing yoga you'll notice as you move into more challenging postures that there is not enough resistance on the carpet. Mats provide a strong foundation, the harder you are working in each of the poses the more you will appreciate your mat and a hardwood floor.

Not only that, but there are tons of tiny stabilizer muscles in your hands and feet that develop when you do yoga. These muscles assist in balance and strength. Practicing on a hardwood floor or on your mat is going to provide a strong foundation for your muscles to gain feedback & develop properly. If you're practicing on a carpet, these muscles are at risk of collapsing as a soft carpet doesn't provide much feedback or support.

I would definitely recommend the beginner series for you if you are practicing on carpet, and sticking with a gentle / restorative / yin approach to yoga. These are the softer forms of yoga, and do not require you to work hard or stress your muslces.

Other props that will be helpful for you will be a strap, a bolster, and definitely blocks.

Hope this answers your questions!

Enthusiast
November 14, 2014

So glad to have found this - exactly what I need. Have done a couple, but will work through these in order starting tomorrow.

Question...I've been practicing on carpet, but I do have a mat. Can you tell me a bit more about why that's important? If I were on a hardwood or tile floor I'd use it, but have just gotten away from it since the carpet seems soft enough.

And...I don't have any other accessories for yoga. Seems like a couple blocks will be helpful. Do you have recommendations about any other basics I might need?

Thank you!!
Carrie

Mala Valentine, Level 8
Enthusiast
September 27, 2014

Thanks Lorna, I will let you know how it goes. I really do enjoy yoga, it always makes me feel better after doing it.

Mala Valentine, Level 8
Enthusiast
September 27, 2014

Thanks Siri!

diane stanfield, Level 4
Enthusiast
September 20, 2014

Thank you.

diane stanfield, Level 4
Enthusiast
September 20, 2014

Hi Siri, I am sick with a cold &just not up to trying this at the moment. I hope this stays online. I want my hubby to see if he can hook this to my TV. It would be a lot easier to do. Thanks. Diane

Siri Peterson Cavanna, Level 12
Expert
September 20, 2014

Yes Stephen Elarrey if possible it is great to get into a regular public class with a skillful teacher. But for some people, that just isn't an option. And for others they don't feel comfortable in a public setting.

I'm so grateful for this outlet to reach those who aren't able to access the regular public class for whatever reason.

And for those of you who live in Northern California, I would love to see you in my public classes ;)

Expert
September 20, 2014

Yes, diane stanfield. It's great to keep it easy at first and learn your body's limits. ;)

Expert
September 20, 2014

Yes Mala Valentine! Congrats on quitting smoking! What an accomplishment...

Lorna Borenstein, Level 84
Enthusiast
September 19, 2014

Good luck Mala Valentine and diane stanfield you will be amazed at how quickly your physical strength, yogic knowledge, and mental ability to focus/be truly present on the mat will increase. Keep us posted on your progress!

diane stanfield, Level 4
Enthusiast
September 19, 2014

I have read these posts and going to keep this. I need some of the easy yoga'a to do. Thanks, Diane

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.