September Yoga Month: 10-day Beginner's Yoga Guide
34 Comments
Siri Peterson Cavanna, Level 11
Expert
cannot load objectid null users

Have you been curious about how yoga can transform your life? Discover the mind/body health benefits of this ancient system by following our 10-day Beginner's Guide all through the month of September. Begin your journey at any time, and get active in the community by sharing your story here. Let's get the conversation started! I can't wait to follow your story and give you feedback/support along the way.

In this series you will develop practice and confidence in the following videos:

1. Discover how to open and strengthen your body with ease: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-warming-up-for-asana/525862455d4ca1685c062b49
2. Learn the foundational alignment principles of Downward Dog: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-studentship-of-downward-dog/525c60275d4ca1685c14691d
3. Understand successful alignment & muscle engagement in standing poses: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-standing-poses/522f8b8784739d486b015ed8
4. Synchronize breath and movement: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-sun-salutations/525c17eb5d4ca1685c123c69
5. Awaken vitality with the breath: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-pranayama/525dadda6255f2531c015ccd
6. Gentle backbending to open the heart and release the spine: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-gentle-backbends/524e00a398924d924e074310
7. Open the hips to prepare for meditation: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-meditation/525d81355d4ca1685c189faf
8. Putting it all together: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/yoga-for-beginners-learning-to-flow/524caaaf98924d924e00c0e8
9. Take your practice to the next level: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/strengthening-your-foundation/51c1077c640d4ae045006e0c
10. Discover profound rest & rejuvenation with yoga: https://grokker.com/yoga/video/restore-and-renew/5122f0ea7f70a4c746000d6d

For more information on this inner journey, click here: https://grokker.com/cms/10-days-to-become-a-yogi?utm_source=GrokEmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=90614newsletter

Get ready to change your life!

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.
Lynda Campbell, Level 6
Enthusiast

Well it is Friday and I have completed Day 1, Warming up for Asana. I have done this video once before it is so awesome I love this video and how I feel after. I am looking forward to the next 9 days. Thank you Siri

Expert

Great Lynda Campbell! I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

If you have time, you can begin each session with "Warming Up for Asasna". Some videos are a little bit shorter and some are a bit longer, so tailor your practice to fit your needs. The next video, "Studentship of Downward Dog" is shorter, so see if you can fit both in. If not, no worries!

Vee Thane, Level 5
Enthusiast

Hi, I'm just getting started here. I have yet to attempt any of the videos, but I have just got my mat and blocks this morning. I am a two time advanced stage cancer survivor. The first was stage 3c ovarian cancer. When they went in to remove the mass on my ovary they discovered it had spattered all over my abdomin. In order to be sure all the viewable cancer had been removed the Dr. cut from the bottom of my sternum to the pelvic girdle. All of my core muscles were involved to some extent. Between the massive surgery, two heavy courses of chemotherapy as well as some heavy radiation to the chest and abdomin I was a total mess. I have been in remission for four years, and have just got over the last of the side-effects. Now I need to rebuild my core and help my emotional and spiritual healing. From what I've read here the beginner program is where I need to start. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Expert

Hi Vee. Wow, you've been through so much... iI'm so grateful to be sharing this journey of yoga with you at this time in your life, and I'm truly honored that you chose this series to start. Remember, the time of major struggle has passed, so don't let the yoga practice be another struggle. The practice is here to serve and support YOU. Use this expereince to reclaim your connection to your body and heart. Start by listening to what feels good and place your attention on that. When we first start, it's really easy to see what's not working or where we feel weak and tight. It's a refined skill to look for the good in your practice and see the good in your body! After every practice, try to name (or even write down) something that went well for you.

Because I can't see you, again, DEEP LISTENING and PATIENCE are key. The body opens at its own pace, and forcing yourself into a pose too quickly can set you back by potentially causing injury. Only you will know if something feels dangerous. Trust your instincts and test your boundaries gently and lovingly at first.

There is a concept in yoga called Ahimsa- it means non-harming. It is one of the major tenets of yoga philosophy and the only true rule I can think of... don't hurt yourself. You may find these videos to be easy, challenging, or somewhere in between. Do what you can, and leave out what might not work for you.

Stay in touch!

Suzanne Prestedge, Level 3
Enthusiast

I have never done Yoga before will I need to get a mat or anything before I can start or can I use something else for the time being until I could afford things. Thanks Suz

Lynda Campbell, Level 6
Enthusiast

I have done both together and it is great. I am really struggling with some health issues and this has been very help to clear my mind and body. Both going into a more relaxed state. I thank you this series is totall awesome. the Asasana video is the best and I start any yoga practice with that video.

Expert

So glad this is working fo ryou Lynda Campbell! Stay in touch!

Expert

H iVee Thane Wow, you've been through so much... iI'm so grateful to be sharing this journey of yoga with you at this time in your life, and I'm truly honored that you chose this series to start. Remember, the time of major struggle has passed, so don't let the yoga practice be another struggle. The practice is here to serve and support YOU. Use this expereince to reclaim your connection to your body and heart. Start by listening to what feels good and place your attention on that. When we first start, it's really easy to see what's not working or where we feel weak and tight. It's a refined skill to look for the good in your practice and see the good in your body! After every practice, try to name (or even write down) something that went well for you.

Because I can't see you, again, DEEP LISTENING and PATIENCE are key. The body opens at its own pace, and forcing yourself into a pose too quickly can set you back by potentially causing injury. Only you will know if something feels dangerous. Trust your instincts and test your boundaries gently and lovingly at first.

There is a concept in yoga called Ahimsa- it means non-harming. It is one of the major tenets of yoga philosophy and the only true rule I can think of... don't hurt yourself. You may find these videos to be easy, challenging, or somewhere in between. Do what you can, and leave out what might not work for you.

Stay in touch!

Expert

Hi Suzanne Prestedge. Yes, a yoga mat will be very helpful and necessary. I am not particular about yoga mats, just make sure you are using a yoga mat as opposed to an exercise mat which tends to be too thick and squishy. You can do Warming Up for Asana without a mat though-
Warming up for Asana

Hope you enjoy it!

Suzanne Prestedge, Level 3
Enthusiast

Ok thankyou Siri, I will have to check out the prices of yoga mats and thanks for the tip on the exercise mats because I did see some of them while I was out today and wondered what the difference was lol
Thanks Suz

Loyda Irizarry, Level 2
Enthusiast

Hi, recently, my rheumatologist recommended yoga, massage, and accupuncture for my fibromyalgia. I am in constant pain and tried the DVD Introduction to Yoga for Extreme Beginners by Evamarie Pilipuf. The disc is scratched, so I searched for a new one on-line, and fortunately, I found you! I was afraid to begin Yoga, because i"m always so tired and in pain. After doing Evemarie's DVD for 20 minutes which was really gentle, I'm exhausted and of course depressed because I wish I could do more and I wish I could feel great. But, I don't I'm in pain and tired. Being new to fibromyalgia, and having arthritis all I want to do is cry. I am 61 and just retired, due to this physical condition, from a life of teaching. If you can provide any informnation as to helpful yoga exercises and meditation for my condition I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for you support.

Loyda

Mala Valentine, Level 8
Enthusiast

I'm quitting smoking and this practice really helps alot. Especially with the breathing. I've done this particular practice several times and I really like it for warming up muscles. Especially my lower back muscles. I'm going to try this 10-day beginner's guide. Thanks Siri!

Expert

Dear Loyda Irizarry,

Thank you so much for writing. Many members fo my close family suffer form both RA and Fibromyalgia and a host of other autoimmune diseases, so I know how incredibly challenging these conditions can be.

Firstly, as your rheumatologist knows, it's really important to KEEP MOVING even though often that's the last thing you want to do. Still, it is important to remember WHAT kinds of exercise are beneficial to someone like you. And, on this point science is clear- LOW intensity exercise is best. Many doctors recommend yoga because they think that it falls into that category, but the truth is that a lot of yoga is very high intensity. So the kind of yoga you do is important. Stay AWAY from power, ashtanga, vinyasa, or anything that simply feels too strenuous (including anything in this beginner's series that feels like ti requires too much exertion). You're looking for gentle hatha, restorative, and potentially yin yoga if it's super easy and low impact.

I have a few other suggstions too- try interspersing one or two gentle yoga classes each week with walking. It's SUPER important that you go for gentle walks around twice a week.

Also, how you approach your workout is important. You want to exercise in such a way that you are exerting yourself a little bit (a minute or two) and then taking as many moments as needed to fully recover- by recover I mean body temp, heart rate, breath rate coming back to normal in between. If I were working with you privately, I would have you work for a minute (or less) then let you recover for a couple (or however long you needed). So, when you do your videos, keep your eye on the pause button so that you can go at your own pace.

"Warming up for asana" is going to be a great class for you. Depending on your flexibility, the resotratives class could also be good. In the other classes, you'll really have to commit to moving at your own pace, because most likely the holds will just be too long for you. Holding the pose for too long could end up making you feel worse. If you attempt Downward Dog, do so for very short periods (a couple fo seconds) and see how your body responds.

You shouldn't try to exercise when you're having a flare up.

Keep me posted....

diane stanfield, Level 4
Enthusiast

I have read these posts and going to keep this. I need some of the easy yoga'a to do. Thanks, Diane

Lorna Borenstein, Level 57
Enthusiast

Good luck Mala Valentine and diane stanfield you will be amazed at how quickly your physical strength, yogic knowledge, and mental ability to focus/be truly present on the mat will increase. Keep us posted on your progress!

Expert

Yes Mala Valentine! Congrats on quitting smoking! What an accomplishment...

Expert

Yes, diane stanfield. It's great to keep it easy at first and learn your body's limits. ;)

Expert

Yes Stephen Elarrey if possible it is great to get into a regular public class with a skillful teacher. But for some people, that just isn't an option. And for others they don't feel comfortable in a public setting.

I'm so grateful for this outlet to reach those who aren't able to access the regular public class for whatever reason.

And for those of you who live in Northern California, I would love to see you in my public classes ;)

diane stanfield, Level 4
Enthusiast

Hi Siri, I am sick with a cold &just not up to trying this at the moment. I hope this stays online. I want my hubby to see if he can hook this to my TV. It would be a lot easier to do. Thanks. Diane

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.