Tea to avoid binge/emotional eating
5 Comments
tlc tlc, Level 79
Enthusiast
September 8
Ian Wallace, Level 1
Enthusiast
July 13, 2020

This was very informative. I tried this for a little while but it's just too easy to buy junk. Ultimately, what worked for me was thinking of junk that I wanted to eat and seeing that "ultrapalatable" taste as a reward for exercise. If tea works for them then it's a good start but with the flux of the world it's best to inspire a disciplined lifestyle and associate good feeling with hard work.

Martin Wood, Level 11
Enthusiast
May 19, 2020

Making good choices in diet can be tricky, but it starts in the shopping cart. If you skip the processed foods which are formulated to be hyperpalatable and instead put whole foods in your cart which contain real fiber, you are more satiated naturally between meals. For example, eating a whole bag of potato chips can happen fast with a ton of calories and can even ENHANCE your hunger compared to eating a full fiber steamed sweet potato which contains more vitamins as well.

Tea drinking is a great way to keep up with daily hydration. Decaf green, roiibos, mint, chamomile, and hibiscus are good ones I keep in rotation. You can even use fresh mint which is easily grown at home (in the fridge you can keep cuttings alive in a glass of water) or fresh ginger/turmeric root to make tea with higher antioxidant and phytonutrients than the same dried versions. Adding lemon water has its benefits as well without overdoing it on processed sugar.

In addition, kombucha is another beverage that can be made at home which helps digestion and keep your metabolism running.

Chris Mohr has 3 series on nutrition with tips on how to control the snack cravings and has simple recipes for meals and snacks to help keep you on the right track.

Mindful Eating For Weight Loss
Workday Snacking

Vera Sisk, Level 6
Enthusiast
May 15, 2020

I feel that I may do the same thing. This is a good question. I hope we see some advice from Grokker staff.

Indu Guzman, Level 5
Enthusiast
May 4, 2020

With the stresses around this time and working at home, I've been getting into bad habits of binge eating or emotional eating. I gained weight. To combat that, I've been drinking herbal tea when I feel like snacking on something when I'm not hungry. I'm not suggesting to use herbal tea to skip meals. Regular, healthy meals are still needed. I'm talking about the compulsion to drink or have something for self-soothing. Sometimes when that happens, I'm sipping sweet herbal tea. No detox teas cuz that's BS and detox is just a fancy word for diuretic. I prefer teas without caffeine to avoid dehydration.

If you have are struggling with an eating disorder, definitely a BAD idea.

What do you think of this strategy? Do you do it? Do you have any favorite teas?

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.