What are you looking for when you attend a Yoga class?
12 Comments
Stephanie Hoffpauir, Level 9
Enthusiast
February 7, 2017

A Teacher who is older, with life experience and typically some of kind of physical challenge - those are the best. They teach more universally.

Sweet Demise, Level 73
Enthusiast
January 3, 2017

Morgan Barry Levay

A bit late, but here are my answers to your questions :-)

(a) Seeking: A healthy and balanced range of body movement that we all have the ability to maintain, but loose with age (due to numerous reasons which vary per person). And also seeking to tap into the inner strength of ones own mind and body, that most of us do not even know exists.

(b) Benefits & Rewards: The obvious benefits noticed within a few months of practice are increased flexibiliy and strength. But with further "sincere" practice, one can obtain - "Peace" even if it is initially very brief. The peace just flows in gradually/naturally, as a "dedicated" yogi can easily get lost in the flow of breath and body movement during practice. In other words, your mind only thinks of breathing and flowing, and not of anything else! This in my opinion is a form of "meditation", even if one wasn't attemting to do it.

(c) Inspiration: My personal advancement in my own practice serves as my inspiration. When I look back at myself, I can see how far I have come. How I went from no strength, to now doing arm balances and inversions. My inspiration is in the belief that Yoga really works for everyone!!!

By the way Morgan Barry Levay, I really like your video on "Neck and Shoulders Flow". Whats different about it is that you hold some poses for long. That makes it very challenging, but also rewarding!

And now that I have kinda explained my entire yoga journey, I want to thank youLorna Borenstein, which I've been meaning to do for a very long time! THANK YOU Lorna, for providing individuals like me with the resources to better ourselves!

Marcus Moncayo, Level 7
Enthusiast
December 31, 2016

Peace of mind, acceptance, love <3

Marcus Moncayo, Level 7
Enthusiast
December 31, 2016

Post by Rose Yahnig:

flexibility in my back and hips.......at 65, I need to ease into this so I don't add pain and tightness to those areas
Rose Yahnig, my first yoga teacher was 73 :-). She started yoga later in life for mobility reasons and was such an inspiring teacher.

Ashley Hunter, Level 5
Enthusiast
December 28, 2016

Hey Goddess Knight, sorry I'm stumbling on your post so late. Hopefully you've already found a great resource for starting but if not I'd suggest calling or dropping by one of the local organizations and chatting with them. They can probably point you in the right direction for which classes to start with. It may be a good idea too to contact an instructor ahead of time so they are aware of your unique limitations, and then may offer variations to poses to assure you're comfortable. Ultimately though Grokker has a ton of resources (as you know!). Dabble around in some of the beginner series and be mindful of your own body while following the poses. A good general rule of thumb is focus on natural alignment (and if you're unsure if you're alignment is good ask yourself how your body feels, it will tell you) and move only in your range of motion. I hope this helps or you've already found guidance!

Goddess Knight, Level 3
Enthusiast
August 15, 2015

I would really love to start yoga but i dont know where or how to start. Can anyone help guide me in the right direction. I suffer from chronic migraines and have left shoulder neck area problems along with a bad left knee (2 surgeries to it) so i have to keep that in mind. I would like to learn proper form so i dont injure myself and would like to learn how to properly breathe thru the poses. Would going to an actual physical class here in my town be in my best interest first off before i try an online session on my own? My main focus for beginning yoga is for peace of mind, help destress, flexibility, posture and just better overall health. Can anyone please respond with some guidance. Thank you ; )

Fred Burgin, Level 1
Enthusiast
December 9, 2014

I am doing yoga from around 8 months and I feel my body very flexible and a peaceful mind. If sometimes I skip doing it, I Feel like something is missing.
http://www.cellublue.com/

Morgan Barry Levay, Level 20
Expert
November 21, 2014

Rose Yahnig I've definitely got some recommendations for you. Cindy Walker has been my mentor and teacher for quite some time. Here's a video on Yin Yoga that will ease open the connective tissue in your spine and hips:

Yin Yoga and Meditation

In fact, I would recommend all our gentle and yin yoga videos for you. Let me know if you'd like more recommendations!

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.
Rose Yahnig, Level 2
Enthusiast
November 21, 2014

flexibility in my back and hips.......at 65, I need to ease into this so I don't add pain and tightness to those areas

Expert
November 20, 2014

Nasimeh Bahrayni Thanks for sharing the short version - I thought thought your list was quite comprehensive ;)

Nasimeh Bahrayni, Level 5
Enthusiast
November 20, 2014

Oh man, I could go on for ages, but I'm trying to write an article! So - in short -

Peace of mind
Strength
Stability
Equanamity
Flexibility
Endurance
Discipline!
Heat
Acceptance
Prayer

Strong body, strong mind.

Expert
November 15, 2014

What is it that you are seeking from yoga? What are the optimal benefits and rewards of a consistent practice? What is it that inspires you most on your mat? Gimme your best ;)

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.