Do you consider bad the use of the microwave?
8 Comments
Jennifer Sahmoun, Level 22
Enthusiast
May 19, 2015

I am lost without my microwave but I almost never use plastic in it. When my dad bought our first microwave back in the late 70's he told us to never use plastic because it melted I find it easier to just avoid the plastic rather than risk melting. For a little fun in the microwave, stick a marshmallow on a plate and microwave for 10 seconds. Watch what happens!

Sage Russell, Level 9
Expert
April 1, 2014

Hiya Claudia!
Hope I'm not too late to the party.
I’m no scientist, but I thought I’d weigh in with my thoughts about Microwaving in the kitchen.
Firstly, disclosure of my habits: The only thing I use the microwave for is melting chocolate (see my ganache recipe: Silky Smooth Chocolate Ganache to learn why). Ok… occasionally melting butter, ooh and warming honey to drizzle over gooey Manchengo stuffed crispy fried Spanish olives… OK sometimes reheating leftovers too.

I’m not too concerned with the physiological damage inflicted on my food by the log-wavelength radiation delivered by the microwave. But plenty of scientists and hippies alike would tell you to be worried; that it alters flavor, destroys nutritional compounds and will make your pork chops glow in the dark. There are also loads of scientists (probably in the employ of the US Association for Excellence in Microwave Cuisine Technologies) that claim microwaves have no adverse effects on food (other than to render soup so hot that you can’t carry the bowl). I’m more concerned that microwaving food is just a boring bland way to cook, akin to just plain ol steaming (with less control and less exciting stove action).

If you find yourself tempted to use the microwave out of convenience and time saving as a replacement for frying, sautéing, roasting, boiling, broiling or barbequing, then it’s definitely time to rediscover your culinary passion and cooking gusto. I would highly recommend a daily regimen of watching a few Grokker expert cooking videos to re-ignite your gourmand fire.

Oh, and never stare into the microwave. It will turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Hope some of that helps
~Sage

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.
Christine Spencer, Level 18
Enthusiast
March 21, 2014

Hey Lorna Borenstein and Claudia Alexandra Bojacá Torres,

Regarding plastics and BPA:

Apparently there are new findings, that even if it is "BPA-Free", there are still estrogenic effects. BPA-Free Chemicals are just as bad as BPA, if not worse!

I just saw a bit about this on Democracy Now:
Part 1: http://youtu.be/db-FBvfNk54
Part 2: http://youtu.be/4--PeBggtTE

But if you'd rather read:
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe

Microwaving food is questionable.
Microwaving plastics is a no-no!
Microwave-safe, to me, means: it won't melt!

Claudia Alexandra Bojacá Torres, Level 3
Enthusiast

Thanks for your answers. They are useful for me. When I wrote, I was worried because I read the food in microwave was affected its quality because the bond of the food were changed or transformed with the microwave. I didn't know about BPA plastics and it's very important to know it now. I won't use plastics with BPA in the microwave and in my kitchen.

Greetings.

Claudia Alexandra.

Lorna Borenstein, Level 85
Enthusiast
March 19, 2014

Claudia, I did a little research on microwaving plastics and found that 1) you might not want to microwave any plastics at all, and 2) you definitely don't want to microwave any plastics that you suspect may contain BPA. Bisphenol A (BPA) is a carbon-based synthetic compound used to make certain plastics; it has been in commercial use since 1957. BPA-based plastic is clear and tough, and is used to make a variety of common consumer goods (such as baby and water bottles, reheatable containers, sports equipment, CDs, and DVDs) and for industrial purposes, like lining water pipes. BPA exhibits hormone-like properties at high dosage levels that raise concern about its suitability in consumer products and food containers. Since 2008, several governments have investigated its safety, which prompted some retailers to withdraw products containing BPA. A 2010 report from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) identified possible hazards to fetuses, infants, and young children. Since that time numerous studies performed at the National Center for Toxicological Research have been performed that addressed many of those issues. The European Union and Canada have banned BPA use in baby bottles. I am not sure where you live Claudia but as of 2014 there are no BPA labeling requirements for plastics in the US. So, go ahead and use your microwave, just make sure the containers you use are BPA free. Here is a link to a Wikipedia page on BPA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Louis Alley, Level 32
Enthusiast
March 19, 2014

Inherently, microwaves have no impact on food quality. But as Yumee Jang says, heating plastic near food can have negative effects, but this would be true in an oven or on a stove as well. Also, heating your food until it is black and burnt will introduce carcinogens, but this is also true for an oven, grill, or stove. My mom sent me microwaveable glassware: http://www.pyrexware.com/

Yumee Jang, Level 15
Enthusiast
March 18, 2014

Claudia Alexandra Bojacá Torres I myself is a fan of the microwave specially when I'm on the go, I had the same question and did my research as well as ask some of our experts when I was on set. In my knowledge microwaving is safe as long as you use the right type of container to heat your food. If you are using plastic make sure the label indicates it is microwave safe, if you use the wrong plastic unhealthy chemicals can seep into your food. If you are concerned about losing nutritional value when microwaving, no need to worry. Microwaving food does not zap out the nutrition in your food.

I hope this helped.

Yumee

Claudia Alexandra Bojacá Torres, Level 3
Enthusiast

Hello.

I would like your mind about the use of the microwave, the impact of the microwave in the food. Thanks.

Claudia.

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.