Music or No Music?
16 Comments
Annette Box, Level 23
Enthusiast
October 8, 2017

I like music during yoga practice and like for there to be a variety of it and I don't t think it all needs to be meditative either. I've been to classes where the instructor put together a playlist of different types of music which really enhanced the class. I would like to find some of that here on Grokker but haven't so far. I"ve taken some great classes, but would appreciate more variety in music.

Kitty Maffucci, Level 21
Enthusiast
July 5, 2017

I love the music

Sarah Pemberton, Level 40
Enthusiast
April 23, 2017

I like meditative music during yoga practice and corpse pose, but I prefer music without words. Words can be distracting, especially in corpse pose.

Laura Dias de Almeida, Level 55
Enthusiast
March 30, 2017

No music during practice, thank you! I find it more helpful to listen to my breath and the quality and texture of it: it gives useful feedback on how I'm working. Am I straining? Or do I need to push myself bit more? I love both music and yoga and, out of respect for each of these arts, prefer to make space and time for each of them separately.

Sarah Pugliaresi, Level 13
Enthusiast
March 1, 2017

Music to me is Incredibly important when I am practice. helps keep me focused and relaxed.

Stephanie Hoffpauir, Level 9
Enthusiast
February 7, 2017

Post by Cindy Walker:

I am curious to know how everyone feels about music being played in Yoga Classes? What type of music do you like? Do it motivate you? Does it distract you?
Do you prefer no music at times? Do you attend certain classes because you like or do not like the music a teacher plays?

i for one love music, but also love it to change often otherwise it gets boring. I love softer music in the beginning warmup stages, more active pop music w/ vocals during the vinyasa flow - sun salutations and then "there, but not there" quiet music in the cool down floor work.

How about corpse pose? Do you like music or sound or quiet?

I enjoy something soft, inspiring and more quiet.

xo
Cindy

I'm pretty open to most yoga soundtracks except really wierd ones like nothing but gongs the whole time (Oh gosh longest class EVER) or Corpse Poses with songs w/lyrics like Amazing Grace, Hallelujah, or some other "meaningful" song. I like instrumental so I can go where I am lead internally, and not by outer lyrics.

bulgarea stefan, Level 1
Enthusiast
December 15, 2014

I ususally listen to mantras when I practice my exercises, smt like http://www.insightstate.com/category/mantras/

Daniela Tanner, Level 18
Enthusiast
February 1, 2014

I feel music helps to calm the mind and give it something to pay attention to other than thoughts. It's like taking a shower or driving. It lets the mind pay more attention to the body when just a piece of it (the mind) can hear music. That being said, the "wrong" music can be a huge distraction. For example, when I'm paying attention to lyrics moreso than alignment or sensation, I can tell I'm not in the right place. However, within the last two days I've been toying with the idea of listening to some contemporary music during my home practice just to see if it lures me to the mat more frequently and ups the fun quotient. The sensations of a class (or perhaps a private session) have different lures and require different music, moods, and environments.

Femmina Thomas, Level 1
Enthusiast
December 21, 2013

<a href="http://grokker.com">Music </a>

M L, Level 19
Enthusiast
December 10, 2013

I have really enjoyed yoga classes where music is played. I have a similar aesthetic as Morgan Barry Levay , though I am curious to try a class with some more upbeat music at certain times... I'm not sure if I would like it or not!

Lucia Galindo, Level 8
Enthusiast
December 9, 2013

Great topic, Cindy!

I personally love music in my practice. However, I am particular about the kind of music I listen to while practicing and that can change based on my energy that day. Having said that, one can never go wrong with at least a little instrumental in the background (flutes and drums are to yoga as cheese is to wine). I don't like trendy/pop music, but now I am just being a music snob! (Nicolas Jaar-esque beats are my fave!!)

I enjoy a soft voice in savasana, preferably mantric in nature. Can you say Deva Premal & Miten?

Becky Wenzlau, Level 28
Enthusiast
November 14, 2013

I don't go to the yoga studio often, but I recently attended a yoga class where the instructor played more contemporary music. I can’t tell you how much fun I had doing downward dog to Beyonce and Lorde! At the end, when we Shavasana-ed, she turned the music down to more typical yoga music, but I was ready for it at that point.

It was an experience I remember mostly because of the great music I could sing along with!

William Bottini, Level 12
Enthusiast
November 14, 2013

Post by Cindy Walker:

I am curious to know how everyone feels about music being played in Yoga Classes? What type of music do you like? Do it motivate you? Does it distract you?
Do you prefer no music at times? Do you attend certain classes because you like or do not like the music a teacher plays?

i for one love music, but also love it to change often otherwise it gets boring. I love softer music in the beginning warmup stages, more active pop music w/ vocals during the vinyasa flow - sun salutations and then "there, but not there" quiet music in the cool down floor work.

xo
Cindy

I think the music helps me shut out everything else else & more than that, music seems like an important part of the yoga aesthetic, something that you can take from yoga out into the other parts of your life. Without it, I feel like there would be something missing.

Sara Alix, Level 12
Enthusiast
November 14, 2013

I love this about going to the studio. It's hard to have a practice at home with music that is as dynamic as the class.
I feel like quiet music in the beginning and end of the class helps quiet my mind so I can be present in the moment while the upbeat music during the peak of the class helps motivate the faster flow.

:)

Post by Cindy Walker:

xo
Cindy

Morgan Barry Levay, Level 20
Expert
November 14, 2013

I prefer to keep my music quiet. I like something meditative through the whole class. Quiet yet uplifting, then silence at Shavasana. I have yet to find a good public class where this is done, but that's how I practice at home :)

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.
Cindy Walker, Level 4
Expert
November 13, 2013

xo
Cindy

Upgrade to Grokker Premium to unlock Expert advice.

Post A Reply

Please sign in to leave a comment.