unsalted butter (225g)
castor sugar (100g)
drop of vanilla essence
plain flour (225g)
½ tsp of baking powder
pinch of salt
white chocolate chips (150g)
mug of double cream
bundles of fresh strawberries.
spoonful of icing sugar
strawberry coulis to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Beat the butter, castor sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl until smooth, light and fluffy.
2. Sieve in the flour and baking powder, stirring through to form a dough. Mix the white chocolate chips into the dough.
3. Push this dough into a round cake tin, so that it’s 2cm thick. Bake for 30-35 mins, avoid gaining too much color. It will still be soft but will harden up as it cools.
4. Leave to cool in the tin to set up a little, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over the cooled shortcake.
5. Slice the strawberries, keeping their natural shape and arrange on top of the cream. Dust in icing sugar and enjoy a wedge with a of glass freshly made lemonade.