Prep Time: 30 minutes - (20 min to prepare and roll out pie dough & 10 min to prepare pie filling)
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes - (35 min to pre-bake pie crust & 30 min to bake pie)
Ready In: 2 hours 5 minutes - (1h35 min to prep and cook & 30 min to cool and rest)
Make Sure You Have:
Pre-baked pie crust
If making pie crust from scratch:
Stand mixer with paddle attachment for dough
Pie tin (do not use aluminium)
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
8 ounces (16 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into uniform cubes
5-6 tbsp ice-cold water
4 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
6 tbsp (3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
2 cups (10 ounces) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (To toast, bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes)
1 cup chocolate chips with at least 60% cacao
Making Pie Dough:
1. Cut up butter into small, uniform cubes and add to a stand mixer bowl along with the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a paddle attachment, turn the mixer on low speed.
2. Periodically stop the mixer to check the mixture and mix gently with your hand, breaking up any large chunks. You want the butter chunks to be pea-sized. Don't over mix.
3. Add in 3 tablespoons of cold water to begin and mix again. After mixing it for a couple of seconds, test your dough by removing a fist full of dough and checking whether you can form it into a ball that holds together. If the dough forms easily into a moist ball and there are no floury crumbles left on your hands then you have added enough water. If it does break and there is a floury consistency add another tablespoon of cold water and repeat until the desired consistency is reached.
4. Turn on the mixer again and mix it for another 10 to 30 seconds just until right before the dough comes together completely into a ball. It should not take long at all. Stop the mixer and take out the dough, using your hand roll it into a disc, then flatten it out and wrap it with plastic wrap.
5. Place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour. It can be in the refrigerator for up to 3 days but if you leave it in the refrigerator for an extended period of time, take it out of the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes before rolling it out into a round large enough to line your pie pan. Place dough gently in pie pan and trim edges off evenly using kitchen scissors. Chill your pie dough in the freezer for 10 minutes to ensure the butter within is cold, this is the key to a flaky crust.
Rolling out Pie Dough:
For special tips on how to roll out the perfect pie crust check out Emily's https://grokker.com/cooking/video/tips-on-rolling-out-and-using-pie-crust/5125a3151847616419000367.
Baking pie crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Use a fork to lightly prick the flat surface of the pie pastry. Take a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper and press it into the pie plate, gently pushing it right up against the pastry. Fill the sheet of foil or parchment paper with pie weights, dried beans or even uncooked rice to hold it in place. This weight helps the pie dough hold its shape.
3. Bake the crust for 20 minutes, then remove it from the oven and take out the pie weights and the aluminum foil liner.
4. Lower the oven temperature to 375°F. Return the pie to the oven to bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely before using.
Directions for Filling:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl add 4 eggs, granulated sugar and whisk them together. Add dark corn syrup, maple syrup and whisk again. Finally add in melted unsalted butter and whisk for the final time.
3. In your pre-baked pie crust add chocolate chips and toasted pecans, mix them to evenly distribute all over crust. Make sure you toast the pecans beforehand. To toast your nuts bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes before using. Gently toss the chocolate chips and toasted pecans together.
4. Pour the filling into the pie crust slowly, move it around the pan to distribute evenly, always look for the low spot in the crust to prevent from over flowing.
5. Place the pie in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and let it cool for another 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Also Check Out: https://grokker.com/cooking/collection/the-grokker-classic-thanksgiving-feast-/52865dec852ee97635000242
Placing the pie on the top rack and a baking sheet on the bottom rack will catch all the pie drippings.