Servings: makes 1 tart, serves 8
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes
Make Sure You Have: a food processor, spatula, and a tart shell
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch kosher salt
1 large egg
1 nine inch Crust store bought
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Spread the almonds in one layer in a small baking pan and put in the (preheated) oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes and check the nuts to see if they are a light golden brown. If not, toast 2 minutes longer. Set aside to cool.
3. In the food processor, process the almonds with the 1/3 cup sugar, flour and salt until they are finely ground and look like coarse sand. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the butter and process until everything is combined.
4. Spread the filling evenly in a pre-baked tart shell. Peel the apples and slice around the core. Slice about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Working from the outside in, arrange the slices in slightly overlapping circles around the tart.
5. Stir together the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and the melted butter. Brush it over the top of the tart. Bake until the frangipane is set and the apples are golden, about 30 minutes. Serve the tart warm or at room temperature.