Servings/Yield: 10 portions
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours & 10 minutes
Ready In: 3 hours & 25 minutes
3 cups red beans
1 cup bacon, diced
1 each onion diced fine
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 cups black beans, cooked
1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1½ hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F. Sauté the bacon until light brown, add the onion and cook until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Arrange the cooked beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion mixture.
4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 3 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.