Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 2 hours 45 minutes
Make Sure You Have: 9" foil pie tin
1 1/2 cups of cocoa wafers, crumbled (substitute: graham crackers)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
8 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp kosher salt
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (bake for 5 minutes 350°F to toast, then allow to cool)
1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place cocoa wafers in a ziplock bag and break them up into crumbs using a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs into a bowl, add melted butter and stir until it is evenly incorporated.
3. Pour the crushed wafers into a foil pan and use your fingers to press down firmly all over the bottom as well as pressing it up the sides to form your pie crust. Make sure the cocoa wafers are evenly coated with the same thickness. To get a firmer bottom you can use the bottom of a measuring cup to press down. Make sure you don’t see any foil spots on the bottom.
4. Place the crust in a 350°F for 10 minutes.
5. In a small sauce pan heat up milk on medium-low heat.
6. Place coconut on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350°F.
7. In a bowl combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and whisk until smooth. Slowly add-in the hot milk while you continue to whisk until blended. Add in the toasted coconut (reserving a few tablespoons for garnish) and stir. Then add the whole mixture back into a pot and cook over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly, until it has a mayonnaise-like consistency.
8. Pour into a bowl and add butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until butter is completely melted. Place a plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard and cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
9. In a stand mixer add crème fraîche and whisk until it is thick.
10. Place the cooled coconut filling in the pie crust then add the crème fraîche on top, spread the crème fraîche allow a little bit of the custard to show through. Top it off with the reserved toasted coconut and place it in the refrigerator with a bowl upside down over it for an hour.
Take it out, serve chilled, and enjoy!