2 cups lentils, rinsed
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (7-ounce) can fire roasted whole chiles (mild; this provides tons of flavor)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 cups chopped kale (just the leaves. give the stems to the guinea pigs or the compost heap)
½ to 1 teaspoon kosher salt (start with 1/2, then season if needed at the table)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cumin
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1. Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Rinse lentils until the water runs clear, and then put the wet lentils into your slow cooker.
2. Add diced onion and the chopped garlic.
3. Add the entire cans of fire roasted chiles and diced tomatoes.
4. Add the kale, dried spices, and stir in the broth.
5. Cover, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or until the lentils are bite tender and the onion is translucent. It took closer to 6 hours in my 6-quart