1 & 1/2 tbsp Lowery's seasoning salt
1 tbsp onion power
1 tbsp garlic power
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground black pepper corn
1 cup buttermilk or water
1 Whole chicken, boneless and cut into parts (breast, thigh and leg)
2 cups Rice Bran Oil for frying the chicken
For The Batter:
1/2 cup organic corn flour
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 & 1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 & 1/2 tbsp salt
For the Marinade:
1. Combine all dry ingredients
2. Add buttermilk or water and mix well. It will turn a slight orange color due to the paprika.
3. Submerge the chicken completely in the marinade and let marinate for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
When using buttermilk, be sure not to leave chicken for more than 3-4 hours in marinade. If marinating for longer substitute water for the buttermilk.
For the chicken:
1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Take chicken, one piece at a time, out of marinade and removed excess marinade by skimming it across the side of the mixing bow, then coat chicken completely in batter.
3. Pat off any excess batter by tapping coating chicken pieces lightly. Place chicken on a lined baking sheet.
4. Bring a cast iron or heavy skillet to heat with 1 - 2 cups of rice bran oil until it reaches 350°F- 375°F. There should be enough oil in the pan that it almost covers the chicken when added to the pan. Be sure your oil reaches 350°F-375°F before you add your chicken or it will be soggy.
5. Gently drop battered chicken in the oil and fry for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave without touching it for first 5 minutes and then gently turn chicken parts over as they cook to allow for even browning on all sides.
6. Remove chicken and drain on a rack with pan beneath to remove and catch excess oil.
Serve immediately with creamy mashed potatoes, biscuits, and plenty of your favorite gravy. Garnish with some fresh herbs.