1 3-4 pound chicken
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper or paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
Fresh herbs of your choice: oregano, rosemary, sage, or parsley (4 sprigs)
Optional: 1 lemon, lime, or orange (halved)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Lay the onion slices on the bottom of a baking dish -- 9×13 or 7×11
3. Remove the giblets from the chicken if present and pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Put the chicken on top of the onion slices.
5. If using the citrus, squeeze the halves into the cavity of the chicken and throw the rinds in. Put the herbs inside, too.
6. Spread oil or butter all over the outside of the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Roast for 20 minutes per pound (about 60-80 minutes).
8. Remove when the temperature in the thigh is 175°F or the juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
9. Let rest 15 minutes before carving. Serve with the pan juices.