4 to 5-pound roasting chicken, cleaned
1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
¼ cup soy sauce (I use gluten free)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 large onion, sliced into wedges
1. Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Place a small cooking grate into the insert.
2. Place a cleaned, whole chicken on top of the grate, breast side down.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the five-spice powder, soy sauce, pepper, and ginger. Smear the sauce all over the chicken, inside and out. 4. 4. Place the onion wedges in the chicken cavity.
5. Cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for about 5 hours.
6. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure the meat has reached and internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
7. Serve and enjoy!