Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 50 minutes
6 medium purple beets, cut in half moons
6 medium golden beets, cut in half moons
2 medium carrots, cut in 1/4 inch rondelles (coins or full moons)
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp thyme
1/8 cup orange juice or lemon juice
2 tsp apple cider vinegar or plum vinegar
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
3 Cups fresh arugula leaves, packed
1/4 cup raw pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tsp salt (like Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt)
1/2 cup feta cheese or blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Clean beets and carrots well, remove any obvious blemishes from the roots, but leave most of the skin on. Slice beets and carrots into 1/4 inch thick moons and half-moons. Put into a large mixing bowl.
3. Melt coconut oil over low heat on the stove or by placing the jar of coconut oil into a shallow bowl of very hot water. Add melted coconut oil, salt and thyme to bowl of beets and carrots and mix, coating all of the beets and carrots.
4. Spread the coated beets in a single layer onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Give the beets a quick stir and rotate the pans in the oven. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the beets are fork-tender. Remove from the oven, transfer the roasted beets and carrots to a clean bowl and set aside.
5. In a skillet over medium low heat, toast the pine nuts for 5 minutes. Shake or stir the pine nuts every so often to make sure they do not burn.
Dressing Roasted Beets:
1. To the bowl of roasted beets and carrots, add in olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, chopped basil leaves and stir all the flavors together.
1. Spread the arugula on a plate as a bed for the beets and carrots. Place the beets and carrots in the center and sprinkle pine nuts on top.