8 Large Beets
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp white balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 shallot, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
3 tbsp lightly toasted pinenuts
½ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 head of bibb lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 450°F
2. Wrap beets individually in foil and place on baking sheet. Roast for 1 to 1 ½ hours until a knife can easily be inserted into the beets. You will begin to see the beet juice dripping out of the foil, a good indication they are done.
3. Allow to cool slightly. While still warm, run beets under cold water to remove their skins. Slice of the bottoms, and tops and then slice into wedges and set aside.
4. To toast the pinenuts: place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
5. To make the vinaigrette: Combine the mustard and vinegar and whisk until combined. Slowly add the grapeseed oil, whisking all the while until a creamy emulsion forms. Add the diced shallot, salt and pepper to taste and mix.
6. Place the beets in a mixing bowl, and add the vinaigrette, mixing the beets until well-coated. Add the mint and pinenuts. Lay the lettuce leaves out on a platter, in a single layer. Top with the beet mixture and crumbled gorgonzola cheese.