1 small pat of butter
1/4 small yellow or white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup grated mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup chopped fresh vegetables of your choice (e.g., baby zucchini, mushrooms, red bell peppers, spinach)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small frying pan, melt 1/2 pat of butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté them until they turn glassy, about 2 minutes.
2. While the onions are cooking, whisk the eggs together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Add the vegetables and sauté them al dente (don't overcook!), about 2 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
4. Return the pan to the heat and melt the rest of the butter.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and gently move the cooked portion inward so that all of the egg begins to solidify. Add small amounts of salt and pepper as desired.
6. Layer the cooked vegetables with grated cheese on one half of the omelet.
7. Fold omelet closed and transfer onto a plate.