1 sheet puff pastry, frozen
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
¼ cup plus 1 tbsp granulated sugar
⅓ cup water
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 ounces Brie, sliced into ¼-inch-thick pieces
1 tsp half-and-half
2 tsp brown sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
1. Take your puff pastry out of the freezer / or defrost in the fridge. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet set over low heat, melt the butter.
2. When it foams, add olive oil, onion, brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine sugar and 1/3 cup water. Stir until the sugar completely dissolves, then add cranberries.
4. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set cranberries aside.
5. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place the puff pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Use a small knife to score (cut halfway through the puff pastry) a ½-inch border.
Note: This will puff up taller than the middle, which is weighed down slightly with the toppings, and becomes the “crust” to hold on to.
6. Scatter the caramelized onions evenly across the puff pastry. Sprinkle the thyme leaves. Nestle the cheese among the onions. Drop small spoonfuls of the cranberries.
7. Brush the edges with half-and-half. Sprinkle the edges with brown sugar. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.