A good pinch of saffron strands
¼ cup of warmed milk, preferably whole milk
4 large scoops of good quality vanilla ice cream, softened
Chopped fruit of your choice, fresh or canned
Broken jelly of your choice
2 ball of dried vermicelli, boiled until soft & then rinsed with cold water and drained
¼ oz (10g) china grass, also known as agar-agar, broken into long strands, boiled for 2-3 minutes and then rinsed with cold water and drained (optional)
2 tsp tukmaria, also known as sabja or sweet basil seeds, soaked in a little boiling water for 1 hour (optional)
4 tablespoons rose syrup
4 glasses whole milk (or 4 glasses-worth evaporated milk)
Large handful of shelled and skinned chopped pistachios
Edible rose petals (optional)
1 cup or (200g) fine caster sugar
1 pint (600ml) water
1 lb or (500g) fresh strawberries, washed and green stalks removed
¼ oz (10g) powdered gelatin
2-3 tbsp rosewater
1. Infuse the saffron strands in the warm milk until the milk goes cold. Combine this with the softened ice cream and return to the freezer.
2. Place the sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Continue to boil for five minutes then leave to cool completely.
3. Crush the strawberries with a hand blender to a pulp. Then pour this into a large heatproof bowl, pouring the sugar and water syrup over the top. Cover with a clean tea towel or some cloths and let it infuse for thirty minutes.
4. Once this mixture is cool, pass it through a fine sieve or some muslin to remove any of the strawberry pulp and seeds. You want a nice, clear liquid. Then set aside.
5. Place ¼ cup of cold water into a small dish, then sprinkle the powdered gelatin in. Leave this for 5 minutes without touching.
6. Heat a cup of the strawberry and sugar syrup liquid in a small saucepan, adding the powdered gelatin and the water mixture. Simmer very gently but do not allow to boil, until the gelatin has completely dissolved. Stir this dissolved gelatin mixture into the remaining strawberry liquid.
7. Pour into a 1½ pint tub or bowl and place into the refrigerator and leave to set.
To make the Faloodas
8. Place a couple of spoonfuls of the fruit and jelly in the bottom of each glass. Divide the vermicelli
and china grass by four and add to each. Add ½ teaspoon of the swollen soaked tukmaria seeds to
9. Pour in a tablespoon of rose syrup to each glass. Top each glass with milk and stir well. Add a
scoop of the ice cream and sprinkle with pistachios and rose petals to serve.