Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 45 minutes
1 cup hazelnuts
1½ cups (300ml) heavy cream
¾ cup (150ml) milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 sheets of gelatine
1 cup 100g flour
½ stick (50g) of butter
½ cup (50g) brown sugar
1 tsp cocoa powder
4 pears, pealed and base cut
1½ cups (330ml) pear cider (can be substituted with white wine or sake)
2 tbsp sugar
2 bay leaves
1. Pre-heat an oven to 360°F (180°C). Place the hazelnuts into a blender and pulse for 1 or 2 seconds, and then spread them out on an oven tray and place into the oven for about 10 minutes until they become a deep golden color.
2. In a saucepan bring the cream, the milk and the brown sugar to the boil, and then turn down the heat to a very gentle boil. Avoid letting the mixture boil over or scorch.
3. Once the hazelnuts are toasted pour them into the cream mixture, and allow their flavor to infuse for at least 10 minutes. Taste the mixture to see if it has reached the desired level of flavor. If not, simply leave the hazelnuts in a little bit longer, before straining them out.
4. Soak the gelatine in some water until they become very soft, and then add the gelatine to the warm cream mixture. Whisk thoroughly until the gelatine sheets are entirely mixed in, and then pour the cream out into ramekins.
5. Allow the mixture to cool, before placing it into the fridge to set for at least an hour.
1. Place the flour, butter, brown sugar, and the cocoa powder in a blender, and blitz until it becomes a relatively fine crumble texture.
2. Pour the crumble mixture onto a baking tray and then place the crumble into an oven at 360°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes. Remove the crumble from the oven and allow it to cool down, stirring it occasionally with a fork.
1. Place the pear into a pan, and add the cider, sugar, and the bay leaves. If the pears are not covered with liquid, top up the pan with water until all the pears are covered, and bring to a gentle rolling boil.
2. To check whether the pear is ready, simply push a knife into the core, and if it is able to slide in unhindered then it is ready.