Servings: Makes 12 cupcakes
1/2 cup (110 grams) of unsalted softened butter
1 cup (200 grams) of caster sugar
2 Whole Eggs
7.5 oz (220 ml) of butter milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (240 grams) sifted plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
12 cupcake holders
2 & 1/2 cup (500g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
5 cups (1kg) icing sugar
6 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together. Mix the butter and sugar in a electronic mixer of 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Pour in the eggs whole and one at a time mixing vigorously at a high speed until it reaches a smooth consistency.
3. Add the vanilla extract and Buttermilk and mix for a short time. Do not worry if the mixture looks like it is beginning to curdle.
4. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda until it forms a thick batter.
5. Fill half way up the cupcake holders and place them in a muffin tray in the over for 10-15 minutes at 355°F (180°C). Test with a skewer, if the skewer comes out of the cupcakes clean then they are ready.
6. For the icing: Cream the butter on a high speed until it is smooth.
7. Add the icing sugar and beat using an electric whisk until the mixture forms a pale, creamy buttercream icing.
8. Add the whole milk and whisk until the buttercream is the consistency of a thick whipped cream, you can make the icing cream lighter by adding more milk.
9. Add the vanilla extract and and whisk until incorporated.
10. Finish off your cupcakes by piping the icing using a selection of piping nozzles. Please do watch the video for Ella's tips and tricks on beautiful presentation.
Watch all of https://grokker.com/cooking/collection/ellas-tea-party/51ddbee9a52b34676500005b collection