Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Other Time: Refrigerate for 2 hours
6 oz whole wheat flour by weight (about 1 1/3 cup)
6 tablespoons ice cold butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup ice water (plus 1 tablespoon if not using vodka)
1 tablespoon ice cold orange or plain vodka, optional
1 cup cherry pie filling
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in water and vodka, if using. Toss with a fork until flour mixture is moistened, then use your hands to bring dough together into a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
3. Roll dough into a large disk about 13 inches wide and 1/8-inch thick. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet.
4. Pour cherry filling into the middle of the dough, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold the outside edge of the dough over the fruit, making occasional pleats.
5. Brush milk over dough; generously sprinkle with sugar. Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden and the fruit is bubbling, 35 minutes.