Servings/Yields: 1 pot
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours & 45 minutes
Ready In: 8 hours
8 lbs. beef bones in 2-3 in. chunks
6 oz. tomato paste
2 carrots with peel, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 onion with peel, quartered
2 whole tomatoes, halved
2 cups red wine
Half head garlic
¼ bunch parsley
6 sprigs thyme
4 bay leaves
1 tbsp black peppercorns
Any of the above scraps from the freezer
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Put the bones in a roasting pan and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
3. Take the pan out of the oven and add the tomato paste, carrots, celery, onion and tomatoes. Stir to coat the bones and the veggies with the tomato paste. Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 30-45 minutes or until the veggies have browned.
4. Take the roasting pan out of the oven and dump the contents into a large stock pot. Put the roasting pan on the top of 2 burners and over high heat, deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour this into the stock pot.
5. Add the garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, black peppercorns and scraps and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for 6 hours, skimming any foam that collects on the surface of the stock. Add water if necessary to keep everything covered.
6. When the stock is done, strain it and skim the fat from the top. Season with salt. Cool and store in an airtight container. Beef stock will last in the freezer for up to 1 year.