2 pounds thick cut beef short ribs
1 roughly chopped yellow onion
2 roughly chopped stalks of celery
2 roughly chopped carrots
3 mashed cloves of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups red wine
4 cups beef stock
15 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
kosher salt to taste
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Place the Dutch oven over high heat on the stove.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
1. Season the short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.
2. Sear the short ribs by adding olive oil in the hot Dutch oven. Sear for 3-4 minutes on all sides. Remove the ribs, set on a plate, and set aside.
3. Caramelize the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in the same Dutch oven. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until they are golden brown.
4. Add the short ribs back in the Dutch oven along with fresh thyme, bay leaf, red wine, and beef stock. Make sure the beef stock is covering all of the ingredients in the Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Close the lid and place the Dutch oven in the oven for about 3 hours.
1. 30 minutes before the short ribs are done, start the polenta. In a large pot over high heat, add in olive oil, onion, and garlic. Caramelize the ingredients for 4-5 minutes until they are golden brown.
2. Add in the cornmeal and toast for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken stock a little bit at a time, stirring while pouring. You should add 2 to 1, chicken stock to corn meal. The consistently should be like cream of wheat.
3. Add in heavy cream slowly while stirring. Once the cream is stirred in, add in Parmesan cheese while stirring. Salt and pepper to taste. Close the lid and remove from heat.
1. In a bowl, add polenta. Add short ribs on top and garnish with parsley.