5 bone-in short ribs, cut into 3-4 pieces each (butcher will do this for you on request)
For the stewing sauce:
2½ cups chicken broth
2 cups of organic tomato based pasta sauce (in a jar, like Amy's store bought)
¾ cup pomegranate juice (or other red juice)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
¼ cup red wine or vodka, optional for serving adults
2 cloves garlic
3 large carrots, chopped
20 small potatoes
For the meat rub:
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground chili powder (mild)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
4 tbsp olive oil for braising
½ onion, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat up a large pot. Take your short ribs and season them with paprika, chili powder (mild), coriander, salt, sugar, and corn starch. Mix the dry rub on to the ribs and make sure the rub is well coated into the meat.
2. Take a bowl and place the pasta sauce, lemon juice, pomegranate juice, chicken broth, and fresh garlic pressed through a garlic press. Mix them a little and your stewing sauce is ready. If you are serving adults you can add red wine or vodka, here if you are serving kids leave it out.
3. Heat your large pot over the stove and drizzle with the olive oil, then sear the short ribs in one layer, rotating until they are brown all over. Remove the meat once all sides are brown and seared.
4. Scrape down the insides of the pot to release the charred spice rub from the bottom, then add the roughly chopped onions to your pot and sautée together with the charred spice rub. Place the meat back in the pot on top of the onions and then pour in your stewing sauce. Make sure the meat is covered in the stewing sauce and if it doesn't you can add a little more chicken stock.
5. Add the chopped carrots and small potatoes on top of the meat and sauce. This will make a complete meal in one pot!
5. Cover the pot and place in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours.
6. Plate it up and serve! Enjoy!