Ingredients for cake
1 tbsp vegetable oil or butter, for greasing tin
1 & 1/2 cups (350g) unsalted butter
1 & 1/2 cups (350g) granulated sugar
6 medium sized eggs
3 & 1/2 cups (450g) sieved plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 cup (250g) sour cream
juice of 3 lemons
zest of 5 lemons
large loaf tin
Ingredients for icing
1/2 cup (100g) of granulated sugar
1 tbsp of lemon juice
3 tbsp of lemon juice mixed with the zest of 1 lemon
1 & 1/4 cups (150g) icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 356°F (180°C). Grease the loaf tin with vegetable oil and line with strips of baking paper.
2. In a Kitchen-aid standing mixer or using a hand-blender, cream the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy, roughly 3-4 minutes.
3. Add one egg to the mixture and blend quickly on a high speed until incorporated then turning the Kitchen-aid to a low speed to prevent over mixing, repeat this step with each egg. This will prevent the mixture from curdling,
4. In a separate bowl add the baking powder to the flour and mix well. Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
5. Add the sour cream and mix well, but try not to over-mix as this will thin the batter out.
6. Quickly mix in the lemon juice and zest. Pour the cake batter into the lined cake tin and flatten batter with a spatula.
7. Place into the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, the cake is ready when you can pierce with a skewer and it comes out clean. When the cake is ready take it out of the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
1. In a small pan dissolve the granulated sugar into 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Brush the thick syrup over the cake to give it a sheen. Don't worry if some dissolves into the cake.
2. Add 3 tablespoon of the lemon juice with zest to the icing sugar a few drops at a time and mix until the sugar dissolves fully into the juice, forming a medium consistency icing sugar.
3. Holding two forks together, dip them into the mixture and flick over the cake until all the mixture is used.
Watch all of https://grokker.com/cooking/collection/ellas-tea-party/51ddbee9a52b34676500005b collection