Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
½ pointed white cabbage, core removed and chopped finely
½ tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tsps honey
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1. In a medium-hot pan sauté the red onion in olive oil and add a pinch of salt until the onions become translucent.
2. Once the onions are translucent, add the caraway seeds and the nutmeg and cook for 30 seconds to release the aromas.
3. Add the cabbage to the onions and spices. Stir to coat the cabbage in the spices and cook for another minute.
4. Finally add the honey and the vinegar and simmer until the cabbage becomes wilted, and serve.
Making it your own: Sage's thoughts
1. Try varying your onions and cabbages to change up the flavor and crunch. Sage likes to use pointed cabbage and red onions, but you could try savoy cabbage, white cabbage, red cabbage or white onions.
2. For the sour ingredient Sage uses cider vinegar, but red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or even lemon juice also work fantastically.
3. Sage sweetens his cabbage by using honey, but sugar or even maple syrup are delicious.
How are you going to make it your own?