Prep Time: 45 - 60 minutes
Cook Time: 30 - 45 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour & 45 minutes
Make Sure You Have: A stand mixer, rolling pin, and a pizza cutter.
2 cups all purpose flour
8 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 tbsp sugar
5-6 tbsp ice water
1 egg beaten for egg wash
1 tbsp sugar for dusting
4 ounces unsalted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
4-5 apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/8 inch sections
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced
Maple Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces real maple syrup
1. In the mixer with the paddle attachment, add the flour, very cold butter, salt and sugar. Mix just a little bit until the butter is the size of large marbles. Slowly add the ice water one tablespoon at a time, stopping the mixer between each added tablespoon. Add one tablespoon of water, mix, look at the texture of the dough, stop the mixer and repeat this step as needed. To test, squeeze the dough and see if it holds, if it is dry, add just a little bit more water and mix.
2. Place the dough on the center of the plastic wrap and wrap it. Form the wrapped dough into a ball with your hands by squeezing the outsides and spinning the dough until it adheres into a well formed ball. Now, flatten the top of the dough with your hands by pressing downward until the dough forms a large 1 1/2 inch high disk. You should see chunks of butter in the dough. Refrigerate it for about 1 1/2 hour.
1. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, add butter, flour, brown sugar, quick oats, and chopped toasted pecan mix until it forms a crumbly mass. This should take about 4 minutes. You will then break the topping up with your flingers before sprinkling on top of the crumble. Set aside.
1. Peel and slice the apples in to thin sections, mix in lemon juice and set it aside.
Assembling the Apple Crisp Galette
1. Remove dough from refrigerator and place on a floured board. Press down on the chilled dough with your hand to flatten it into a round circle about 1/8" thick. Grab the roller and roll the dough from center out in a large circle. Check the bottom periodically to see if there is enough flour and spin the dough so it does not stick. Brush off the excess flour if any. Flip the dough over and place it onto a parchment lined sheet tray before adding apples and crisp topping
2. Top in the center of the dough with the apples, add sugar, hint of cinnamon, then top with the crisp topping by crumbling the crisp topping onto of the apples until well covered.
3. Brush the outside perimeter of the dough with egg wash, fold up and over so that dough covers 2/3 of the apple filling and brush the top of the crust with egg wash section by section, repeat until the whole dough is folded and egg washed. Egg wash the rest of the crust and top it off with some granulated sugar. Put it back in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Take your egg wash, and brush the top of the apples and crisp topping.
5. Bake in a 365°F oven until golden brown for about 40-45 minutes.
Maple Whipped Cream
1. Pour heavy cream in the mixer with whisk attachment and mix, over whip your cream (when it turns yellow it is a sign of over whipped cream). Add maple syrup and fold it into the whipped cream, add a bit more of maple syrup as needed.
1. Cut your Apple Crisp Galette and scoop a generous dollop of maple whipped cream on top!