Prep Time: 30 minutes - (20 minutes to prepare and roll out pie dough & 10 minutes to prepare pie filling)
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes - (35 minutes to pre-bake pie crust & 1 hour 15 minutes to bake pie)
Ready In: 2 hours 15 minutes - (1 hour 45 minutes to prep and cook & 30 minutes to cool and rest)
Make Sure You Have:
5-6 cups of apples (~6 medium). The best varieties available in most stores are Granny Smiths (tart and firm), Braeburns, Cortlands, Golden Delicious, or McIntosh (sweet, but a little mushy)
¾ cup sugar; plus 1 tbsp (for topping)
½ tsp ground cinnamon; plus ⅛ tsp (for topping)
⅛ tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp unsalted butter
Making Pie Dough:
Rolling out dough:
1. To form the bottom crust: On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger piece of dough 3/16-inch thick. Trim to an 11-inch circle. Line the pie pan with the dough. Trim the dough around the edge of the pan, leaving a 1/4 inch edge hanging over the side of the pan.
2. Transfer the bottom dough with rolling pin on to the pie dish, gently press along the inside edge all the way around.
3. For the top crust, roll the remaining dough 3/16 inch thick. Trim into a 12 inch circle. Set aside on a parchment paper.
For special tips on how to roll out the perfect pie crust check out Emily's https://grokker.com/cooking/video/tips-on-rolling-out-and-using-pie-crust/5125a3151847616419000367.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Slice them 1/16 inch thick. Put the apples in a medium bowl with sugar, ground cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice. Gently stir until well mixed together. Stir in the flour.
3. Place the apples evenly in the pie pan. Cut the butter into 8 pieces and place over the apples.
4. Place the top crust on top of the apples. Fold the edge of the top crust under the bottom edge. Press the edges of the pie together with your fingers. If desired, press around the pie edge with your fingers or the tines of a fork making a decorative pattern.
5. Stir together the 1 tablespoon sugar and the 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the pie. Cut four slits, each about 1 inch long in the middle of the pie.
6. Place the pie in the top third of the oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack or on the oven floor to catch any juices. Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake until the pie is nicely browned and the apple slices are soft when you insert a paring knife into one of the slits, about 45 minutes more.
7. Let the pie cool slightly before cutting. Store at room temperature.