Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ready In: 1 hour & 20 minutes
Make Sure You Have: Cast Iron Skillet or Roasting Pan
2 turkey wings
¼ carrot, large dice
¼ celery, large dice
½ small onion, large dice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
¾ cup apple cider
1¾ cup chicken stock
1 rosemary sprig
6 parsley stems
salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
1 lemon zest (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place two turkey wings that have been patted dry in a cast iron skillet or a roasting pan. Add in onions, celery, and carrot, also known as Mirepoix, the base of all French flavoring agent. Drizzle olive oil on top of the turkey and Mirepoix. Place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes until turkey wings are nicely browned and roasted.
2. To make the thickening agent or roux, which is equal parts butter and flour, melt the butter in small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add flour and use a wooden spoon to stir them together. Keep mixing until you have the consistency of wet sand. Remove from the heat and put it aside.
3. Once your wings have finished roasting, remove the wings and mirepoix in a bowl and heat the pan on a stovetop over medium-high heat.
4. Add apple cider to the pan with turkey drippings. Use a wooden spoon and stir to pick up all the drippings, then add chicken stock and add in rosemary and parsley stems.
5. Slowly whisk in roux until gravy thickens.
6. As an optional step, you can return the turkey wings here to add a little more flavor.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper, remove rosemary and parsley stems. If you're looking for some acidity then go ahead and squeeze a tiny amount of lemon. Pour gravy into serving dish. Using a strainer is optional.
Also check out the other great dishes in https://grokker.com/cooking/collection/the-grokker-classic-thanksgiving-feast-/528130adf65d35bc39000080 collection.