1 pound dried black beans or 4 cans black beans (no sodium added)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 carrot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 smoked turkey leg or two smoked turkey wings (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
Ingredients to garnish:
Dollop Greek Yogurt
Chopped raw onion
Chopped red pepper
1. Rinse beans. In a large soup pot, saute the onions, pepper, garlic, and carrots in the olive oil until tender.
2. Add the turkey leg (whole,) 2 teaspoons of salt, and some black pepper, stir to combine. Add beans, and just enough water to come 1 inch over the mixture.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any white foam, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
4. Simmer for 4 to 5 hours (Dried Beans) or 40 minutes (canned beans), until the beans are very soft and the soup is creamy, not watery.
5. Check after 2 hours (dried) or 20 minutes (fresh). If the beans seem dry or stewy, add another cup of water.
6. Stir in the vinegar and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, uncovered.
7. Take out Turkey Leg, cut and replace.
8. Serve over rice (optional) and garnish with chopped raw onions and sour cream.