24 oz. filet mignon
4 cups wild mushrooms (you can use baby bella, maitake, shiitake, or domestic)
1 peeled shallot
2 cloves garlic
1/2 ounce unsalted butter
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
6 thin slices pancetta
1 sheet thawed frozen puff pastry
1/8 cup flour for dusting
2 beaten egg yolks
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
1. In a food processor, process mushrooms, shallot, and garlic until they become a paste (duxelle).
2. Over high heat, add butter to a hot sauté pan. Add in the duxelle and cook for 6 to 7 minutes on medium-low heat. Add in rosemary, chives, oregano, and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste, give it one more toss, and then set aside on low heat to keep warm.
1. Remove the butcher twine. Season with salt and pepper on all sides.
2. On a hot sauté pan over high heat add olive oil and sear the filet on all sides for 2-3 minutes until it is golden brown for a medium rare filet. Sear for an additional minute if you like the filet medium. Remove the filet from the pan.
3. In the same pan, add in olive oil and barely cook the pancetta for 1 minute. Do not crisp the pancetta. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Brush the filet with Dijon mustard on all sides and set aside.
1. Dust your cutting board with flour and roll out the puff pastry until it is big enough to wrap up the filet.
2. Spread a thin layer of duxelle in the middle of the puff pastry. Place pancetta on top of the duxelle, and then place the Dijon-covered filet on top of the pancetta.
3. Wrap the filet with puff pastry and cut off any excess pastry. Score the top of the wrap and place it on top of a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Brush the outside of the wrap with egg yolk.
5. Place the wrapped filet in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the crust becomes golden brown.
1. Rest the Beef Wellington for 10 minutes. With a serrated knife, slice it into 1 inch slices. Place the slices on a plate and garnish with whole chives.