Cook Time: 12-14 hours
Prep Time: 30 minutes
4 duck (or chicken) leg portions with thighs attached, excess fat trimmed and reserved (about 2 pounds total)
1 tbsp plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
10 garlic cloves
4 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 & 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp table salt
4 cups olive oil
1 romaine lettuce head
1. Lay the leg portions on a platter, skin side down. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt and black pepper. Place the garlic cloves, bay leaves, and sprigs of thyme on each of 2 leg portions. Lay the remaining 2 leg portions, flesh to flesh, on top. Put the reserved fat from the duck in the bottom of a glass or plastic container. Top with the sandwiched leg portions. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
3. Remove the duck from the refrigerator. Remove the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and chicken fat and reserve. Rinse the duck with cool water, rubbing off some of the salt and pepper. Pat dry with paper towels.
4. Put the reserved garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and duck fat in the bottom of an enameled cast iron pot. Sprinkle evenly with the peppercorns and salt. Lay the duck on top, skin side down. Add the olive oil. Cover and bake for 12 to 14 hours, or until the meat pulls away from the bone.
5. Remove the duck from the fat.
6. Strain the fat and reserve. Pick the meat from the bones and place it in a stoneware container. Cover the meat with some of the strained fat so that there is a 1/4-inch layer of fat on top. The duck confit can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
7. The excess oil can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and used like butter for cooking. The tinge of chicken taste in the oil is wonderful and I use the oil to roast potatoes, cook green beans, and pan-fry veal.
1 cup cottage cheese
3 tbsp lemon juice
2-3 anchovy fillets (drained minced)
1-2 drops hot pepper sauce (to taste)
1. In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Serve hot or cold.
4. Serve in lettuce cups and top with anchovy cream and shaved parmesan.