1-1/2 cups walnuts
1/2 cup cashews
1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 cup button mushrooms, minced
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, then drained and chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
1 tsp fresh chopped sage
3 large cloves of garlic, minced very fine
4 large eggs, beaten
6 ounces of grated cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp hot sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Butter a loaf pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, then butter it again.
3. Toast walnuts and cashews on a baking sheet (or you could use a hot, dry skillet set on medium and stir constantly) until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
4. Chop fine with knife, (I used the food processor). Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until they're browned and any liquid from the mushrooms has reduced by half.
5. Stir in the cooked rice, the nuts, chopped herbs, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, minced garlic, and seasonings. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth it down until it's level. Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. It should be firm when you shake the pan.
6. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the loaf and invert onto a serving plate.