Yields: 1 pound
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 10 minutes, refrigerate 1-2 weeks
Make Sure You Have: cheesecloth and a large slotted metal spoon
*An instant read thermometer will come in handy to check on temperature while cooking
1. Combine the milk and vinegar in a large pot and mix thoroughly with a large slotted metal spoon. (it is very important that the vinegar be 5%)
2. Heat milk to between 190℉, stirring for about 8-10 minutes to prevent scorching.
3. While the milk is cooking line a colander with a damp piece of cheesecloth and set it in a large bowl.
4. As soon as the curds and whey separate completely, carefully pour the curds and whey into the colander. The whey will sink through to the bowl and the cheesecloth will catch the cheese curds.
5. Transfer the cheese curds to another bowl and season with salt to taste.
6. Serve chilled or use in pasta, salads or as an appetizer with crackers and fig jam.
7. Cheese can be refrigerated for 1-2 weeks.