Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes
Make Sure You Have: a sifter
2 & 1/2 cups (250g) of wholegrain rye flour plus extra for dusting
1 & 3/5 cup (200g) of plain flour
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
6 (35g) tbsp of oats
1 medium egg
1 & 1/5 cup (300ml) of buttermilk (You may substitute with skim milk with squeeze of lemon juice or 2/3 milk and 1/3 yogurt)
4 & 1/3 tsp (25g) of clear honey
Whole milk, for glazing
2 large or 4 small avocados
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 & 1/2 cup (200g) of feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 2000°C/gas mark 7 or 392°F oven.
2. Sift the rye flour into a large mixing bowl and tip any bran that gets caught in the sieve into the bowl.
3. Sift in the plain flour, and add in bicarbonate of soda and a good pinch of salt. From there add 30g (5 tablespoons) of the oats. Stir to mix the bicarbonate through the flour.
4. Beat the egg with the buttermilk. Pour 2/3 of the buttermilk into the flour and add the honey. Use your hands to stir it together to make a soft dough. If the dough doesn't quite come together, add a little more of the buttermilk until it does - you may need to use all the buttermilk.
5. Turn the dough out onto a side lightly dusted with rye flour. Pat it into a round approximately 3cm (1.2 inches) high.
6. Stamp out rounds using a 7.5cm (3 inch) cutter and place them on a baking tray dusted with rye flour. Reshape the dough trimmings and stamp out 6 scones in total. Brush the top of the scones with milk and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until risen golden.
7. Meanwhile, halve, stone and skin the avocados. Place in a small food processor with the lime juice, cumin and dried chili flakes. Blitz to make a chunky purée. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Now break the baked scones in halves and top each of them with avocado mash and crumbled feta.
Watch all of Jassie's https://grokker.com/cooking/collection/brilliant-brunch-series/51681a57558fccb35e0122e3 collection