Return to the program page of Mediterranean Eating: The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
Download the program guidebook for a printable ingredient list and recipe steps!
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, thinly sliced
• 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped or thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
• ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
• salt and pepper
• 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
• 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
• 4 large eggs
• Chopped cilantro, for serving
• Heat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
• Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat.
• Add the thinly sliced onions and bell peppers to the mix and cook them until they’re nice and soft. This can take 5-10 minutes depending on your pan.
• Add chopped garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes until it’s also soft.
• Add the tomatoes and spices. stir in the cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper.
• Pour the can of tomatoes and season it with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
• Simmer the mixture until the tomatoes have thickened. For about 10 minutes.
• Stir in the crumbled feta then gently crack the eggs into skillet over the tomatoes.
• Put into the oven to bake until the eggs are just set, about 7 to 10 minutes.
• When finished sprinkle it with some fresh herbs...and serve it up with some whole grain toast on the side.