Servings: 6 as a main course with accompaniments
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Make Sure You Have: a standard bread loaf tin
Ingredients for meatloaf:
A handful of pine nuts
2 tbsp of olive oil
16 oz. (400g) sausage meat (meat removed its casing)
1 shallot, finely diced
1 large clove of garlic, roughly chopped
3 & 1/2 tbsp (50g) butter
1 cup (60g) breadcrumbs
2 egg yolks
20 oz. (1/2 kg) minced pork
12 oz. (300g) mature cheddar cheese (may substitute with any strong cheese), diced into 2cm, 1 inch cubes
Ingredients for sauce:
1 shallot, finely diced
3 & 1/2 tbsp (50g) unsalted butter
2 porcini mushrooms (may substitute with any nutty mushrooms)
200 ml red wine
100 ml beef stock (may substitute with any good meat stock)
Directions for meatloaf:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the pine nuts and brown gently, stir frequently until they are golden brown (approx. 1 minute). Empty into a large mixing bowl.
3. Place the frying pan back on the heat and fry the sausage meat, stirring occasionally until it has a lovely brown color (approx. 4 minutes). Place into the mixing bowl with the pine nuts.
4. In the same frying pan melt the butter and add the shallots and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes so that they are colored.
5. In the mixing bowl add the breadcrumbs, egg yolks, a generous pinch of salt and plenty of pepper.
6. Finely chop the fresh sage and add to the bowl along with the pork mince and 2 tablespoons of water.
7. With your hands, knead the mixture together until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Add the cheese and mix again.
8. Grease your tin with butter. Fill the tin with the mixture and pack down slightly. Place the tin in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven when the top is golden brown and leave to rest for 10 minutes. While meatloaf is resting, you ca prepare your sauce.
Directions for sauce:
1. In the same pan as you used before melt 25g/1 oz. butter on a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
2. Add the stock, red wine and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to simmer on a medium to low flame until it has reduced in half.
3. In another pan melt 25g/1 oz. of butter and fry the mushrooms until they are soft (approx. 4 to 5 minutes). Add the sage and reduced sauce. De-glaze the reduction pan with 1/4 cup of water and pour into mushroom sauce. Season to taste and serve in a gravy boat alongside meatloaf.
If preparing for a dinner party, prepare everything in advance and simply reheat in a 300°F (150°C) oven for 20 minutes.