1 lb (450 g) Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 g) unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme, minced
1 (28 ounce, 780 g) can crushed tomatoes
1 & 1/2 cups (65 g) basil leaves, roughly chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried basil
2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
1@ 2/3 cups (400 mL) low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (120 mL) heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
4 large fresh basil, chiffonade
2 ounces (60 g) goat cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Spread tomato halves onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes for about 1 hour.
3. While tomatoes are in the oven, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and sauté for another 5 minutes.
4. Add crushed tomatoes, basils and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the mixture and reduce the heat to medium or medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
5. Pour broth and roasted tomatoes into the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer soup, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Carefully pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the cream until fully incorporated.
7. Simmer the soup for 3 minutes before ladling into bowls. Top each soup with a sprinkle of thinly sliced basil and goat cheese and serve hot.