Cook Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 1 hour
Ready In: 1 hour & 45 minutes
½ cup diced carrot
½ cup diced red onion
¼ cup garam masala
1 whole cinnamon stick
1 whole bay leaf
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
8 green cardamoms pods
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 and a ½ cup basmati rice
¼ cup sambhar masala (Optional)
1 cup Ghee (you can substitute for Clarified Butter or Canolia Oil)
½ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
1. Add 1 tablespoon of Ghee covering the base of the pan and heat to high. Add in 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds and let it sizzle for 15 seconds. Cover the pan. Add the rest of your whole and ground spices. Cinnamon stick, bay leaf, whole cumin seed, cardamom, and cloves.
2. Move all the spices around and once the aroma of cinnamon hits your nose add in the ½ cup of onions and sauté. Cook for 1 minute until onions are translucent without browning. Add in ½ cup of carrot.
3. Add in 2 teaspoons of garam masala and stir everything together. Add in ½ cup of water and close with the lid for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, remove lid and add in the 1 and ½ cups of rice.
4. Add in 2 teaspoon of sambhar masala (optional). Add in 1½ teaspoon of salt and stir gently. Dont stir too much. Add in 2 and ½ cup of water. Bring the rice up to a boil and once its up to a boil let it boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Once you see that there are no more bubbles popping up thats when you know you are ready to cover and turn heat down to low. Do not stir just let it simmer. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes, take it off the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take the lid off and fluff it with your fork. Remove your whole spices such as cinnamon and bay leaf. Place the rice in a bowl and youre ready to serve.